2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Water Pump and Timing Set

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 03:43 PM
jschatz
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water Pump and Timing Set

My water pump is about to take a dive in my 01 1500 with a 3.9L with just shy of 135k on it. So I am going to be doing a water pump and timing set change. probably going to order all of my parts online.

So what brand of water pump do you guys recommend?

Rock Auto shows timing sets as being the same for 1500, 2500, and 3500, is this correct? Does this mean I can use a mopar performance set and tensioner for the 5.2/5.9?

I know i will need a water pump, gasket, upper and lower rad hoses, bypass hose, thermostat, coolant, timing set, timing cover gasket, oil and filter.

What else do I need/should i replace at the same time? The belt, idler and tensioner are all new.

Thanks,

Ray

Old 09-18-2010, 06:51 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,391 Likes on 3,131 Posts

Serpentine belt. If yours is still in reasonable condition, just keep it as a spare.

Old 09-18-2010, 10:37 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i put on a new water pump from autozone. no problems. since they're aluminum, i'd put on a new one, not a rebuild.

take a look at your heater hoses.
oil and filter
i wouldn't think you'd need a timing chain tensioner. i didn't originally have one and doesn't need one.

consider doing your plenum? does a V6 have the same plenum plate problem?

Old 09-18-2010, 11:07 PM
95RAM360
Grand Champion
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

yes the 3.9's have the plenum problem as well....

i got my water pump from Carquest for 85 bucks....does great, and it was a new one, not a reman....

Old 09-19-2010, 11:25 AM
jschatz

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Serpentine belt. If yours is still in reasonable condition, just keep it as a spare.
My belt is all of three weeks old.

Originally Posted by dhvaughan
i put on a new water pump from autozone. no problems. since they're aluminum, i'd put on a new one, not a rebuild.

take a look at your heater hoses.
oil and filter
i wouldn't think you'd need a timing chain tensioner. i didn't originally have one and doesn't need one.

consider doing your plenum? does a V6 have the same plenum plate problem?
The only reason I was going to put a tensioner in is someone else was talking about doing one in another thread. They are cheap.

Originally Posted by 95RAM360
yes the 3.9's have the plenum problem as well....

i got my water pump from Carquest for 85 bucks....does great, and it was a new one, not a reman....
I was thinking about ordering a plenum plate just because I would be right there. I will just need a plate kit, intake bolts and an intake gasket correct.

I can get a new water pump from Rock Auto in the $50-70 depending on what brand I choose to buy.

I will probably buy the special spanner wrench to remove the fan clutch since I dont have a way to make one.

I will have to borrow an impact and rent a three jaw puller to do the timing set.

Are there any special tools that I will need to remove and install the plenum plate, other than a torque wrench cause I have those.

Ray

Old 09-19-2010, 11:33 AM
CPTAFW163
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Schatz,

Get the heavy duty water pump they have at rockauto. THe one that is 70 bucks. About getting a new tensioner, the idler pulley is more important to replace.

I replaced my idler and tensioner, and belt. I have them in my truck in case the new ones fail. A broken idler pulley will cut your belt to shreds. I had a idler go on me and it tore up my belt. I had no spares. I was stuck in VA on my Army move from NY to Oklahoma. ANd I had my family with me. Pregnant wife and a 18 month old.

Having extras of "easy fail" parts is a good thing. If your water pump is in decent condition, keep that as well.

Old 09-19-2010, 12:04 PM
jschatz

My idler and tensioner pulleys are both new as of last week. I was asking about the timing chain tensioner.

Old 09-19-2010, 12:22 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame

Are there any special tools that I will need to remove and install the plenum plate, other than a torque wrench cause I have those.
only the ability to torque the belly pan bolts to about 6-8 ft lbs of torque, which is something like 72 in lbs.
if you have the extra time and money, it makes since to do the plenum, since you've got the front and top of the engine stripped down. although - that leads you to change your cap, rotor, and maybe wires, since removing the intake opens up the back of the engine.

also - you'll need a 3/8" fuel line disconnect tool to remove the fuel line at the rail. the $3-5 cheap plastic one is all your need. don't remove the fuel rail from the intake nor the injectors from the rail. leave it all assembled and just disconnect the fuel line. be gentle handling the intake and don't damage any of the fuel rail assembly. fuel rail also makes a good handle.

tip - when reinstalling the intake, cut the heads off 4 of the old bolts and thread them into the corners, then use them as lineup studs and drop the intake over them.

Old 09-19-2010, 04:44 PM
jschatz

Ok my current parts lists-

RockAuto
Upper and Lower Radiator Hoses
By-Pass Hose
180 Degree Thermostat
Airtex Water Pump-they dont have an heavy duty ones
Radiator Cap
Timing Cover Gasket Set

Hughes
HUG 7725 V6 Plenum kit
HUG 7700 TTY MAGNUM INTAKE BOLT

Timing Set

Spanner Wrench

My serpentine belt, idler pulley, and automatic tensioner are all new. My heater hoses look to be in good condition.

I will let you all tell me what I am forgetting off this list.

I will rent a 3-jaw puller and buy a fuel line tool locally. Do I need a special puller for the balancer?

Thanks,
Ray

Old 09-19-2010, 05:06 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame

see if you can rent that spanner wrench from your parts store.
along with the harmonic balance puller.

general
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...Tools/_/N-26vd

harmonic balancer.
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...uller/_/N-2640

this might work, although its for Air Cond.
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/cat...oductId=150540

if you can't rent one, you can make one with two short pieces of steel and one longer one bolted together into a Y shape. for the pegs, install 2 small bolts in the ends of the Y. some people have good success with leaving the serpentine belt on, squeezing the belt and smacking the fan wrench with a hammer. and if all else fails, unbolt water pump with fan still attached.

Last edited by dhvaughan; 09-19-2010 at 05:13 PM.

Quick Reply: Water Pump and Timing Set