2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

suspension lift questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 07:37 PM
lord0fsal3m
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default suspension lift questions

well i want to lift my truck some more and already have a 2.5" spacer up front and a 2" aal in the rear. i was thinking about a body lift, but that it very labor intensive and id have to move my exhaust, bumpers, hitch, bullbar among many other things so i think i want more suspension. i want something around 5" total lift and maybe more up front to level it. im looking at kits and all i see are lift blocks, and id really like to stay away from that if i can so i was going to piece something together.

so i was wondering, can you put a 2" and 4" aal in the same springpack?

and i wanted to get a 5-6" lift coil up front and the appropriate shocks all the way around.

after that i really dont know what else needs to be done so if any of you could school me a bit id appreciate it. im guessing drop pitman arm? track bars?

Old 09-21-2010, 07:41 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,384 Likes on 3,124 Posts

If you are going to piece it together, just get some rear springs with the lift you want. Same up front. You might even be able to eliminate the current blocks in back....

Keep in mind, if you go 5 inches or more, I think you need to use longer control arms for the front axle as well. (and that is what makes 'em pricey.)

Old 09-21-2010, 07:47 PM
Pacmanloads
Captain

I have the rough country 5"....it has blocks in the back...I have had no problems with them at all but would also prefer the lifted springs. You could by a kit like this :
http://www.roughcountry.com/dodge_4wd_94-01_5.html
(comes with control arms)

and then throw the rear blocks away and buy some lifted leafs:
http://www.rockymountainsusp.com/ind...umber=DR56S+SK

Old 09-21-2010, 07:51 PM
Pacmanloads
Captain

Here is a link to the instruction download and that will give you an Idea of what is involved.
Just Click Download beside ---1994 - 2001 Ram 1500 Pickup - 5" Series II
http://www.roughcountry.com/install_...ons.html#dodge

Old 09-21-2010, 08:05 PM
lord0fsal3m
Captain

i wanted to stay away from the leafs with the lift i want because they all seem to be $600 thats a little too serious considering a 4" aal is only like $170

Old 09-21-2010, 09:35 PM
dodgeram07
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well it bepends on how nice of ride u want

my buddy put a 6in long arm on and it rode nice or nice than stock but it was 1200+ dollars

Old 09-21-2010, 10:06 PM
dsertdog56
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by lord0fsal3m
well i want to lift my truck some more and already have a 2.5" spacer up front and a 2" aal in the rear. i was thinking about a body lift, but that it very labor intensive and id have to move my exhaust, bumpers, hitch, bullbar among many other things so i think i want more suspension. i want something around 5" total lift and maybe more up front to level it. im looking at kits and all i see are lift blocks, and id really like to stay away from that if i can so i was going to piece something together.

so i was wondering, can you put a 2" and 4" aal in the same springpack?

and i wanted to get a 5-6" lift coil up front and the appropriate shocks all the way around.

after that i really dont know what else needs to be done so if any of you could school me a bit id appreciate it. im guessing drop pitman arm? track bars?

As a rule of thumb, for every 2 inches you lift your tuck, you'll uncenter the front axle in the wheel wells about 3/4 inch and uncenter it under the frame about the same amount.

To properly do the front, you'll need at least a psuedo long arm lit like BDSs' or Fabtech.
I think Skyjacker makes one as well. SilverDodge is running a skyjacker kit.

You could use a Rough country kit or similar which uses the factory mounting points but the ride will become pretty choppy due to the angle of the control arms.

In the rear, I would try to find a 5 inch spring pack. You could use AALS but again, ride quality becomes skitterish and buckboard like. Or you could use 7 inch springs, and eliminate your block. I used an "offroad spring pack with a BDS AAL which claims 3". I got a full 5 inch lift from that but ride is poor, even with the cargo leaf modified. I like my factory block because it has the bump stop cast in.
You could also research a 5 inch spring with a shackle reverse kit. Been told not to tow much with that setup.
You'll want your steering geometry and track bar as parallel to the axle as possible. This cuts down on bump steer and gives better input at the wheel. So I reccomend a drop pitman arm. The one for a 5 inch lift rotates the TRE to the bottom, but it makes a difference.
You'll want use the correct track bar mount. or a better track bar. Thuren's setup requires welding and I don't know if it's availible any more, but DT makes a set up. I used the bolt on mount from top gunz that has the steering box brace. It centered my axle within an 1/8 inch.

I haven't had any issues with brake lines, but I also run limit straps. The front sway bar issue was solved with the disconnects I used. No problems with front shaft binding but some folks recommend grinding the front of the CV joint for clearence.

Sorry for the long post and hopefully haven't offended anyone if I left out an idea or brand.

Last edited by dsertdog56; 09-21-2010 at 10:12 PM.

Quick Reply: suspension lift questions