2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

big block 2nd gen questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 08:04 PM
Freak_Leg
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default big block 2nd gen questions

I've got a 2nd gen ram 2500 with a blown 360 and a 46re. I've also got a 440 sitting in the garage. My 64 million dollar question is, will the 46re bolt up with the 440? Bolt patern and spline counts? I haven't gotten the 360 out yet, thus the question. Any help would be apreciated.

Old 09-21-2010, 09:05 PM
CPTAFW163
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I want to say no, only because evenyone wanting extra cubes goes to 408 (stroked 360). I have not heard anyone going the 440 route.

I would think that crossmember fab and motor mount fabrication would be needed.

Old 09-21-2010, 09:44 PM
Salex007
Captain

there have been a few people to go that route, new mounts will be needed along with tranny i believe since ours is computerized in a sense. Probably should get a diesel radiator. Cheap if you can do yourself and have tools very expensive if dont have the right stuff.

Old 09-21-2010, 09:50 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,266 Likes on 3,013 Posts

If you wanted to dispose of all the computer controlled stuff, The 46R? is just a 727 with an overdrive unit slapped on the back.... so, it should bolt up. (but, I can't swear to that...) Verify that it will, then just grab one out of a 94-95 2nd gen. Those are the 46RH, so, only need to do something with TCC lockup, and I believe there are standalone systems for that.. (I know there are for the 700R4's... haven't really looked for the 46's.)

Of course, you will have to completely redo the gauge cluster as well, since the gauges are driven by the PCM. Which won't be there any more.......

Not what I would consider an 'easy' project by any stretch of the imagination. Would be much cheaper/easier to rebuild the 360, maybe go 408, (and STILL be cheaper....) and keep the computer, and the fuel economy, and the driveability that comes from electronic fuel injection.

Old 09-22-2010, 02:49 AM
dakotas ram
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
. Would be much cheaper/easier to rebuild the 360, maybe go 408, (and STILL be cheaper....) and keep the computer, and the fuel economy, and the driveability that comes from electronic fuel injection.

yeah, buts its a 440!!!

there was a guy that was on here about 6 months or so ago that swapped in a 440 with stock trans and made a thread asking about hookin up the tv cable..... he wasnt active much tho

Old 09-22-2010, 07:07 AM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm thinking there is an adapter plate out there somewhere that allows you to do this, but for the life of me, I would not know why. Indy and I discussed this awhile back, and he told me the same thing that I see often around here too. There are some guys out there running the 727 trans mated to their 408 just for the fact that it takes some serious torque to jack that transmission up.

It is an interesting idea, and for my own reasons, I would love to see you actually follow through with this quest. Only thing I have to go on is a DIY that I guy did about a year ago on pavement sucks. Problem with his is most of the truck and motor was so nasty you really couldn't see anything. Be prepared to relocated a few a things in the engine bay as well. IIRC, the master cylinder has to move just a little bit to accomadate the new motor. Oh, we're also talking about custom motor mounts and transmission mounts across the board.

Another thing that you might consider is that there were a few different versions of that 440 running around. Personally, I've been keeping an eye out for one that came from the trucks of the era and not the cars. A. More torque design, and B. Truck 440's tend to be a hell of a lot cheaper to come by than the 6pack 440. Just a rarity I guess. If you're looking for serious power, you're mainly looking for the block anyways. LOL

Do keep this thread up to date though.

Old 09-22-2010, 08:30 AM
donizer
Rookie

Id look for a 440 out of a motorhome or something. Not to get OT but will a 727 from a 2wd motorhome mount up to a transfer case? My friends got one sitting in his yard that he'll let for for $1000 for 440 and 727. Also, theres a company that makes kits to install BB into 1st gen rams, if that would be close then all you need is a little modifying instead of full on fabrication.

Old 09-22-2010, 09:04 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Two wheel drive tranny will not bolt up to a transfer case. You would need to change the extension housing, and the output shaft of the trans. (which would entail a complete rebuild of the trans.)

Another alternative would be to do a 'divorced' transfer case. But, that would require fabricating a short shaft from the tranny, to the t-case, mounts for the t-case, and custom driveshafts, front and rear. And don't forget to extend the t-case shift linkage.....

Old 09-22-2010, 09:35 AM
donizer
Rookie

thats what i figured, but someone told me it should bolt right up. My uncle has a 89? ram charger police interceptor with 5 lug 1 ton (maybe 3/4 ton?) axels that i wanted to drop the 440 and 727 in for a mud/ beater truck....oh well lol

Old 09-22-2010, 09:41 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

For the Ram Charger, putting the 440 in there really shouldn't be that much of an ordeal, as at one point, it was an engine option. (I think.) Just a matter of getting the right mounts, and bolting them in.

If you can find a first gen 4x4, with a huge block, and 727, you should be able to get all the parts you need from that. (and there is one for sale not too far from me.... don't know what engine it has though. never stopped to look.)

Quick Reply: big block 2nd gen questions