2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

ECM purchase - PROM not included?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 02:42 PM
ondatkryptonite
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question ECM purchase - PROM not included?

OK so I have put the gas guzzlin' v8 project on hold for a while now due to the fact that I lived 45 min away from work. Now that I've moved 10 minutes away, I'd very much like to get my 2000 1500 5.2 A/T back on the road. I need an ECM. After careful consideration, much research and tons of people urging me to run the opposite direction, I have decided not to do business with AutoComputerExchange. I have however, found a compatible part number for my ECM on RockAuto.com and they actually have it for a decent price. My concern is the product info states:

Screenshot:

If unable to see screenshot it states:
"Does Not Include PROM [Engine Control Computer] Reman."
and
"Pre-Calibrated Flash Unit. Installer needs to program VIN for proper installation. Failure to program may cause driveability or diagnostic problems."

So 2 questions:

1) Will I be able to use the PROM from my old soon-to-be-a-core ECM if it was burned up due to an electrical short... and if not... where can I obtain a PROM for the new ECM?

2) Programming VIN, mileage, etc., is this something I will be able to do with an additional tool during the install somehow, or will I need to have this installed at the dealer or a shop?

I was truly hoping to find a plug and play, turnkey ECM to get me back on the road but so far this is the only site I have found that has exactly what I need as far as compatible part numbers go. I am open to product suggestions as well, perhaps there are other resources for what I need to get back up and running that you guys might know of, which I would greatly appreciate. Thanks.

-Nate

Old 09-22-2010, 04:04 PM
Maxx_Magnum
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I believe you can use a computer out of another truck, as long as it's the same year/engine/trans/etc. as yours, so you could feasibly find one at a junkyard and save yourself some dough AND headaches.... Now don't take this advice for golden just yet as I'm not 100% sure on this, but others will either confirm or deny my correctness

Old 09-22-2010, 05:04 PM
pcfixerpro
Champion

Ignore the top line, just read the second line. I'm running a cardone reman and after I got ahold of a good one, I have had no problems. You will need to have your vin programed or your abs light will be on and non functional, mileage is not as important but should be changed as well.

Last edited by pcfixerpro; 09-22-2010 at 05:08 PM.
Old 09-22-2010, 05:05 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

The truck will run. What they are suggesting or rather, that's A-1 Cardone covering their azz is suggesting, that you have it flashed at the dealer. And if you do that, you will automatically have the death flash. I for one, would/will not purchase ANYTHING rebuilt by A1 Cardone. There are better places besides AutoComputerExchange to get a PCM. The problem is going to be correcting the mileage. Which means Dodge dealer.

Old 09-22-2010, 05:11 PM
pcfixerpro
Champion

Originally Posted by zman17
The truck will run. What they are suggesting or rather, that's A-1 Cardone covering their azz is suggesting, that you have it flashed at the dealer. And if you do that, you will automatically have the death flash. I for one, would/will not purchase ANYTHING rebuilt by A1 Cardone. There are better places besides AutoComputerExchange to get a PCM. The problem is going to be correcting the mileage. Which means Dodge dealer.
I 10000000000% disagree with you. Auto computer exchange is a hack job. I've posted about my pcm troubles before a few times. I have explained to others... the hassel ect. DO NOT GIVE YOUR MONEY TO ACE!!!! What pcm experience do you have with cardone? Also the mileage like I said above does not matter. The cluster holds the milage so it does not need reprogramed but would be suggested. The Vin is what needs programmed.

Old 09-22-2010, 05:16 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

I might be wrong about the the mileage and vin, but I suggest you read my post again about the ACE PCM!

Old 09-22-2010, 05:21 PM
pcfixerpro
Champion

I might be wrong about the the mileage and vin, but I suggest you read my post again about the ACE PCM!
I read it quickly, but when you said you wouldn't purchase from Cardone, but there are better places .... ACE I overlooked the word "besides". My apologies. But for the OP's benefit, where are these other places. Having researched this quite a bit I am curious too. I found ACE due to price on ebay. OEM, and Cardone (sold by local retailers ... Napa, Autozone, etc.) I am still curious what bad experience you have pcm wise with cardone not to recommend them.

Old 09-22-2010, 05:53 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

No prob bud. I can't recall, but I have read here, numerous threads about other companies to get PCM's from (i'm sure some one will chime in on that). I have no personal experience with with A-1's PCM's, but! And that's a big BUT. I have had ton's of defect's with there crap. Gear boxes, power steering pumps,water pumps, fuel pumps etc..... It's a defect or only works until after the warranty period is over. Maybe they are better with PCM's, I don't know like I said. I suggest you don't go to far from home and carry a spare. Kind of like an ACCEL coil.

Old 09-22-2010, 06:15 PM
pcfixerpro
Champion

No prob bud. I can't recall, but I have read here, numerous threads about other companies to get PCM's from (i'm sure some one will chime in on that). I have no personal experience with with A-1's PCM's, but! And that's a big BUT. I have had ton's of defect's with there crap. Gear boxes, power steering pumps,water pumps, fuel pumps etc..... It's a defect or only works until after the warranty period is over. Maybe they are better with PCM's, I don't know like I said. I suggest you don't go to far from home and carry a spare. Kind of like an ACCEL coil.
Thanks for the info man. Hahaha, that last part made me lmao. To the OP, with my personal experience from ACE, stay away at all costs. You can follow the trail from this thread.

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...ode-p0601.html

btw zman17, I read somewhere you had non-rusty doors. by chance would one of them be a front passenger door for a quad cab truck?

Last edited by pcfixerpro; 09-22-2010 at 06:19 PM.
Old 09-22-2010, 06:33 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

Sorry PC, they are from my 98 regular cab. I wish I could find the threads that state atleast one or two better places than ACE to get a PCM. My problem is , that I hate A-1 Cardone. LOL

Last edited by zman17; 09-22-2010 at 06:36 PM.

Quick Reply: ECM purchase - PROM not included?