2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

diesel help

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 11:49 PM
offroadjosh
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default diesel help

Went out to start the cummins this morning and it would crank but not fire. It caught a few times but immedietly died which leads me to believe the vp44 went **** bag. I have fuel pressure to the vp44 but pretty sure i dont after it since its not starting and no smoke when cranking. Weird thing is i have a p0500 and a p1693 code but cant pull the companion code with a reader.... so im lost. if im correct normally it will throw a 1689? code if the vp44 is **** bagged. I swapped the fuel system relay and the asd relay. I disconnected the chip and checked the fuel filter(even thou i proper pressure). Its got good clean diesel in it... uhhh not much else to go wrong there? air filter is clean and intake/turbo are clear. so any ideas before I drop 1100 bucks for a new vp44? Oh btw its a 5.9L 24v 2002 non high output. Batteries are in great shape and it cranks perfectly but wont start. it was 28 degrees or so but i know the grid heater is functioning and i waited for awhile and tried it when it warmed up and it still failed. (BTW SORRY IM RAMBLING ITS LATE AND IM TRYING TO GET THE TRUCK RUNNING BY MONDAY) oh and no air in fuel lines. sooo ideas please!!! again sorry for the mess of a post!

Old 09-25-2010, 12:55 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 93 Likes on 79 Posts

P0500 is the speed sensor, P1693 is a code in the companion module.Do you know someone with a DRB3.Once you get the codes out of the companion module,that will let you kinow if you have pump timing code. Do you know if the lift pump is pumping up the fuel pressure?

Old 09-25-2010, 02:57 AM
mrfarrell
Veteran

possible turbo boost sensor issue..if you have good fuel pressure and have never starved the vp44 it should still be good..does it say 'no bus' in your odometer?

Old 09-25-2010, 07:20 AM
offroadjosh
Record Breaker

I dont know anyone with a DRB3 but im sure i can find someone fairly easy. Lift pump is working 100% good fuel pressure and never have starved the vp44(so that was also my thought and with 70k on it why would it be going out even fi they are a crappy design.)

Quick Reply: diesel help