2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Oxygen Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 02:07 PM
pjpriore
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oxygen Sensor

Can i get my engine to ignore the fact that my oxygen sensor doesnt work so the check engine light will go off...from what people have told me the oxygen sensor just measures fumes that exit the truck and doesnt do much for the engine other than that?

Old 10-01-2010, 02:15 PM
ferguson30
Rookie

Depends on how many sensors your truck has, and which one you are referring to, and why it is going off. The sensor(s) in front of the catalytic converter help to monitor the engine and tune performance based on what it sees. The ones behind the cat don't do anything but monitor that the cat is working. You can buy dummy sensors if you gut the cat. But sensors are just as cheap so you might as well just replace them unless you are doing something funny with your exhaust.

Old 10-01-2010, 02:18 PM
pjpriore

its the downstream sensor that doesnt work anymore

Old 10-01-2010, 02:24 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Could we have some friggin more info about your truck and the way you have the exhaust system setup????????????

Old 10-01-2010, 03:22 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You'd be better off just plugging in a sensor.

Old 10-01-2010, 04:05 PM
Jr. Mechanic
Grand Champion

I don't know what all the hype is about lately with people thinking it's beneficial to eliminate things like the oxygen sensors and cat. Removing the downstream sensor will not affect performance, but there's no benefit. Removing the upstream sensor will keep the PCM in open loop, completely hindering any ability to adjust the fuel mapping.

Eliminating the cat may give you a couple HP, but it's not noticeable. You may say your "butt dyno" says it is, but it's not. The only thing you're accomplishing by doing so on a stock to mildly stock engine is violating federal law, increasing the amount of pollution your truck produces, as well as making your truck less pleasant to drive behind.

Sorry to the OP since most of this doesn't really apply, it's just a rant due to the rash of O2 and cat threads lately.

Old 10-01-2010, 09:33 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Jr. Mechanic
The only thing you're accomplishing by doing so on a stock to mildly stock engine is violating federal law
that alone makes it worthwhile.

Old 10-01-2010, 10:48 PM
drewactual
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dhvaughan
that alone makes it worthwhile.
If'n you ever find yourself on the coast of north carolina, I'll buy you a beer. cheers!

Quick Reply: Oxygen Sensor