2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Lift Kit Modification Ideas

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 12:59 AM
Medicus
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lift Kit Modification Ideas

I currently have a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport with a Fabtech 5.5" lift. It has dual front shocks dual front stabilizers, and skyjacker 4" leaf springs on the factory axle blocks. I also installed a performance accessories 3" body lift. I have Nitto Mud Grappler 37" tires on 20" Procomp 6001 rims (Horrible rims). It is sitting nice and high but I am wanting a little more out of it. The tire size works perfectly with the fender wells when completely compressed and/or turned. I am not really looking to put bigger tires on at this time to get an easy lift. I need some Ideas on ways that I can modify my lift without replacing the parts that I have on. I am also open to new ideas for replacing parts. I know that Skyjacker offers a 6" leaf spring which is an option. I am just lacking some of the tricks. Thanks

Attached Thumbnails Lift Kit Modification Ideas-dodge.jpg  
Old 10-04-2010, 02:09 AM
crawlin95
Professional

shackle flip in rear wi the zero rates and rancho front spring spacer. when you do the shackle flip you can get you some teraflex revolver shackles and youll have a crap ton of flex thats what i did and i score 850s on the rti could probably score higher but my tires bottom out in the wheel wells

Old 10-06-2010, 06:35 AM
Medicus

How big of a shackle flip would you recommend? I have seen up to 4". I really have not researched a shackle flip to much it's all new to me. I can fab one up I just need some pointers do's and donts. With the Tera flex revolver shackles you are talking about getting ones that just fit the leaf spring. Have you had any problems with those making turns or going down hills, or bending because its a full size pickup? Would I have to modify my drive shaft? What size front spacer would you go with I have seen from 1" to 6"? Last stupid inexperienced question what is zero rates? Thanks

Old 10-06-2010, 09:40 AM
SpcD1500
Veteran
Old 10-06-2010, 11:12 AM
Ramingo
Rookie

Maybe a dum question but what kind of Offroad application are you inteding to use it for? Just lifting it high, rockcrawl, Prerunner, Longtravel...

I have 37s on mine and I dont even have a lift kit, just a 2.5 urethane space, but then again its the offroad edition..

Old 10-06-2010, 11:43 AM
Medicus

Ramingo that is a good question. I guess that I want the best of both worlds. I want to be able to drive it everyday if I wanted to without having problems. I'd like it higher but stable and I would like a lot of flex if there comes a time on a trail when I need it. Sometimes the trails that I go on can be a little dangerous for the truck and me if I don't have a good enough flex.

Old 10-06-2010, 01:29 PM
Ramingo
Rookie

You should then invest in some fiberglass fenders and skirts to allow more room for the tires and bottom outs..

Old 10-07-2010, 05:34 AM
crawlin95
Professional

been running the tera flex revolvers on her for a year now have notice no difference on road but offroad it rides alot better and as i mentioned earlier tons of flex. as for how much of a shackle flip its all up to you i like to stay low so i just flipped my stock bracket to retain my ride heighth alot of the trails i go on with my fellow club members are very tight and tipsy. as for the spacer up front match your shackle flip in the rear so you stay level so five up front, five out back. now here is the deal on the zero rates, zero rates are "technically" an extra leaf you add to your spring pack but they look like a block they are only about five inches long and are normally and 1.5" thick the reason they are considered a leaf is because they bolt to the spring pack. the reason you want them along with a shackle flib is because with a shackle flip it will move your axle forward depending on how much you raise it, with the zero rate you can move your axle back to its original position so your rear end dont look funny.

Old 10-07-2010, 11:27 AM
Medicus

Ramingo the way the tires are set up now I have no problem tucking them inside the fenders with out rubbing even at a full flex. The only time that I have ever hit was full flex wheel turned all the way and it would tough about 1/8" of the tread. Thats not even a problem now with the miles on the tires.

Crawlin Would you think that 5" would even be functional? I am kinda on edge now as to how high I can even go because as it is I already modified my front driveshaft and I really don't think that the angles would even work with a new one. I think that I would have to come up with something to change the front driveshaft angle. Its only a standard cab truck with a manual so it is really short

Old 10-07-2010, 03:57 PM
crawlin95
Professional

it depends on what kind of trails you run. i run four and five diamond trails all day long so if i sit up too high then i could easily flip. what did you do to the front shaft?

Quick Reply: Lift Kit Modification Ideas