2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

NP231, np231HD, or WHAT??????

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 07:00 AM
Medicus
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question NP231, np231HD, or WHAT??????

I have a stock NP231 Transfer Case on my 2001 Ram 1500. It has lots of hard offroading and some snow plowing on it. I noticed that after my extension housing cracked that my output shaft is bent. Also I can't drive with it in 4wd for more than 2 minutes before I start hearing a clanging noise and it sounds like it is going to blow up. I figure that the chain is over streched. I have been noticing that there are a lot of metal shavings on the plug after a short time of just driving it. Also it is leaking from the side of the tcase where it is bolted together ("I THINK"). The truck still drives fine in 2wd and I have had it parked for a while because I am in the marines, so it really hasn't been high on my list to fix. I think that my best bet is to just get a new t case rather than over haul the one that I have. The only options that I have seen is a NP231 and a NP231HD which I think will work with my truck. Are there any other options that I am missing and if so can you post a link. I have also heard about getting a slip yoke eliminator kit even though it is for a jeep it will get rid of a lot of problems?

Old 10-06-2010, 09:49 AM
redneck_ram
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the leakage you are having where the t-case bolts to the tranny is the transmission rear seal. its around the output shaft of the tranny. im having the same problem.

Old 10-06-2010, 11:01 AM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher

The Jeep t-cases are an NP231 case, the Dodge cases are an NP231D or NP231HD depending on year and model (IIRC).
I personally have no idea if the slip-yoke eliminator would work. I was looking at that myself. According to any stuff I read on it, it is supposed to be for lifted Jeeps....so, I have no idea if it would work in a Ram.

If you have a 360, you might be able to swap in a NP241 t-case from a 2500 thats either in good shape or been rebuilt.

Thats what I wanna do someday.

Old 10-06-2010, 11:53 AM
Medicus

Redneck sorry I wasn't to clear about where it was leaking. it is where the front piece and the rear piece of the tcase bolt together. The trans is working good so far. Lucky it is the manual trans.

Dodge dude I have the 231d case on mine but I would like the upgraded version to make it a little tougher. If I can put the slip yoke on it would solve a lot of problems.

Old 10-06-2010, 12:45 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher

http://dodgeram.org/tech/specs/tranfer_case.htm
What engine you running?
I coulda sworn that the HD would be the version you're running since you have an 01.
Mine is an HD and its a 98.
Take a look at the link I posted, it has some pretty good info on it.

Old 10-06-2010, 12:54 PM
pcfixerpro
Champion

I have a 231HD tcase on my 01. Crawl under the truck again op. Check the Tag

Old 10-07-2010, 11:32 AM
Medicus

I am almost positive that the last time I looked it was 231d. I am currently in afghanistan so I will have my brother-in-law check it out and then I will let you know.

Old 10-07-2010, 12:18 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

You sure it's just not the front drive shaft making the noise?

Old 10-07-2010, 03:37 PM
crawlin95
Professional

the sye kit will work with our trucks i have done it to mine before i switched to the rock trac 241 out of the jeep rubicon. if you want a stronger tcase then go with a 241 it wil bolt right up and your driveshaft will go right on. but if you want the best bang for your buck then snag a 241 out of a rubicon i paid 1200 for mine and it came with 4:1 stock six pin planetary and sye all stock. best of all it bolts right up minus having to get a new drive shaft

Old 10-07-2010, 11:11 PM
Medicus

Okay I had my brother-in-law check it out for me and once again I have the bastard truck. lol I only have the np231d. I was looking at the 241 but I wasn't sure if all of the lines will fit. Once again I am trying to figure this all out with my truck in NC, I am stationed in hawaii, and I am curriently in afghanistan. I am trying to remember what I will run into. So for right now I am thinking of going with the 231hd just for right now I wont be driving the truck alot for the next 3 years but I want something quick to change since I will only be home for 3 weeks. Rubicon's come with 4:1 stock that is good news for me I will look it all up. Thanks for that info. I still need to do a lot of research before I make my decision but you guys made it a lot easier. thanks

Zman its not the front drive shaft because I put it on my buddies lift and modified the drive shaft with the suspension hanging and moving until there was no noises a while back.

Quick Reply: NP231, np231HD, or WHAT??????