2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Prerunner or Mud truck?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 05:14 PM
surfingsnow510
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prerunner or Mud truck?

Hi,i just recently got a 1995 ram 1500 for my first car but it cant handle what i need it for. Its as basic as you can possibly get it: 2x4,6 ft. bed,reg. cab, the only thing done to it is basically the rims are painted and there is a aftermarket radio. The reason why i got it because i got a sweet deal on it but now i would much rather fixed it up and change to my needs then buy a brand new truck. The main thing i use it for is to haul my dirtbike and fourwheeler around, but most of the places i want to go in my truck i have to go on my dirtbike instead. I wanted to completely redo my truck but keep in mind im 16 so my money is very LIMITED.
Option 1: I was wondering if there was any kits out there to maybe make my truck into a 4x4 so that i can make it into a mud truck which that is pretty popular here in florida. Basically what i would want to do is make as big as possible (street legal so it can be driven daily) truck for as least money as possible.
Option 2: I wanted to know if there were any complete kits to make my truck into a prerunner,i always watch the baja 500/1000 and i love the way the trophy trucks look. I was looking for a complete kit that had everything to make a prerunner. Such as like the flared fenders,long travel suspension skid plates, just about everything. Also i would like to keep the bed so i can still haul my stuff but i would like to look and handle like a prerunner (and it also has to be street legal)

Please if you know anything let me know

Thanks

Last edited by surfingsnow510; 04-23-2012 at 12:22 AM.
Old 10-07-2010, 01:14 AM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by surfingsnow510
Hi,i just recently got a 1995 ram 1500 for my first car but it cant handle what i need it for. Its as basic as you can possibly get it: 2x4,6 ft. bed,reg. cab, the only thing done to it is basically the rims are painted and there is a aftermarket radio.
Welcome to the forum. First of all, its a 4x2. A 2x4 is a piece of wood.

The reason why i got it because i got a sweet deal on it but now i would much rather fixed it up and change to my needs then buy a brand new truck. The main thing i use it for is to haul my dirtbike and fourwheeler around, but most of the places i want to go in my truck i have to go on my dirtbike instead. I wanted to completely redo my truck but keep in mind im 16 so my money is very LIMITED.
Option 1: I was wondering if there was any kits out there to maybe make my truck into a 4x4 so that i can make it into a mud truck which that is pretty popular here in florida. Basically what i would want to do is make as big as possible (street legal so it can be driven daily) truck for as least money as possible.
Nothing cheap, nothing at all. Its cheaper to sell the 4x2 and buy a 4x4 then it is to convert a 4x2 to a 4x4.

Option 2: I wanted to know if there were any complete kits to make my truck into a prerunner,i always watch the baja 500/1000 and i love the way the trophy trucks look. I was looking for a complete kit that had everything to make a prerunner. Such as like the flared fenders,long travel suspension skid plates, just about everything. Also i would like to keep the bed so i can still haul my stuff but i would like to look and handle like a prerunner (and it also has to be street legal)
Again, nothing cheap. Prerunners are not my cup of tea, but from what little I know of them, you are not going to get a complete kit in one buy. You're going to have to buy piece by piece and spend what I would call a considerable amount of $$$.

Sorry if I shattered your bubble there. I am not being mean, just trying to be honest and tell you how it is. Others here will give you their opinions as well. Very, very little is "cheap" when it comes to a 4x4 truck, especially if you intend to off road it.

I will move this thread over to the 2nd gen section (1994-2001 Dodge Rams), to get you those other opinions.

Old 10-07-2010, 01:44 AM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My opinion is the same as Jason's, sell the 4x2 or just ride the dirt bike.
No mods are going to be cheap enough for a 16yr old () with a low budget that will do what you want.

Old 10-07-2010, 02:05 AM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you want a pre-runner or a mudder, start with a 4x4. If you want a 4x4, trade that street truck in rather than wasting money trying to make it something it's not.

Oh, and welcome to the forum!

Old 10-07-2010, 02:13 AM
J McWillis
Professional

You know what that truck need to be a 4x4 prerunner?
A whole new truck!

Sorry, I couldn't resist.
Welcome to DF.

Old 10-07-2010, 03:03 AM
dakotas ram
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by UnregisteredUser
If you want a pre-runner or a mudder, start with a 4x4.

most prerunners are 2wd

Old 10-07-2010, 03:15 AM
Ram_Me
Captain

^ That's what I was going to say.

I think between the two, a prerunner is better for a 2WD.

But remember, our trucks aren't light, and there's not a huge aftermarket following for Dodge. Those both spell big costs.

Old 10-07-2010, 04:35 AM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion

I won't deny that most pre-runners are 2WD... but they're not three ton pickup trucks, either. Knowhuddamean?

Old 10-07-2010, 04:57 AM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion

Oops... slow forum made for a double post. 'Scuse me.

Old 10-07-2010, 11:33 AM
losi8ight

I just did a quick search on a pre-runner kit. I found a front suspension kit for a newer model ram and its ruffly $2000 just for front suspension components. I dont know how much you can spend on this but its not gonna be cheap by any means. Sorry, I like pre-runners alot too....

Quick Reply: Prerunner or Mud truck?