2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Sad day for my Ram

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2005, 09:12 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Sad day for my Ram

Ya, I was so pissed all night last night, and today as I drove into work (looking at the dimples on my hood as I drove in). But hey, what can you do.

Old 06-04-2005, 07:51 AM
zeekxxx
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah that hood is cool. I was just wondering if I would need to take the bug gaurd off the hood for it to RAM with enough air. If that would be the case I wouldnt buy that hood. The bug gaurd deflects a ton of stones. I can see this by how many chips it has on it and not one chip on my hood,

Just something to ponder

Old 06-04-2005, 05:51 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion

I tried and tried to get a good picture of the hail damage. I think if the paint were a darker shade, you could see the dimples better. This is the best pic I got. As you can see, they are not real deep dimples, but there are many. Roof is the same way, as are the top edges of the front quarter panels. Still waiting on the insurance adjuster. I took it to a body shop, and they said that it should be no problem to fix, and that it would be unlikely the insurance would total it. I hope so.

[IMG]local://upfiles/9095/0FEE302B66014F39AECC6AFEE78A1B30.jpg[/IMG]

Old 06-07-2005, 03:28 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion

Met with the adjuster and the body shop this morning. Total estimate is $4890. I'll just have to pay my deductible ($250).

They will replace the hood, and do paintless dent repair on the sides. They said the roof on Dodge Rams (and Chevy's) are double layer for added strength. There are only three ways to repair hail damage when you have a double layer roof. One is with body filler and paint, which no one does anymore. The second is to, from the interior with the headliner removed, drill big holes in the bottom layer so you can gain access the the underside of the top layer to bang the dents up. Insurance won't authorize this because they say it weekens the structural integity of the roof. Last method, is to remove all the glass and split all the factory roof seams so the top layer of the roof can be peeled back. Then they weld in a whole new roof top layer. Apparently, this is the recommended method, and the only one insurance will pay for.

I don't really like the sound of this last method. Since the pickup sits high enough that I can't see the roof anyway, I may just leave the roof as is, and take the money (about $1750 for the roof). Only problem with that is if I ever have any additional damage to the roof, the insurance company will take that $1750 off the top of whatever they would pay for the new damage.

Old 06-07-2005, 03:47 PM
zeekxxx
Captain

Hell no dont let them chop your roof. lol. Id just take the cash and lift it a few inches so I cant see the roof. Out of sight out of mind. Id get everything done but the roof. Anyhow thats just my 2 cents..... But its your truck.... Good Luck

Old 06-07-2005, 03:47 PM
osteodoc08
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: Silver_Dodge
I don't really like the sound of this last method. Since the pickup sits high enough that I can't see the roof anyway, I may just leave the roof as is, and take the money (about $1750 for the roof). Only problem with that is if I ever have any additional damage to the roof, the insurance company will take that $1750 off the top of whatever they would pay for the new damage.
If it is a good body shop, then you have nothing to worry about. If it isn't, well, let's just say "Go on, take the money and run.."

Another thing is to see about is if your insurance/body shop offers a lifetime warranty on the body work. If it starts to peel, rust, leak, etc. they will have to fix it.

Or, you can take the money and get an auto dent (I think its DentWizard) company to do the work and pocket the rest. There are many ways to remove the dents if they are superficial. They do it down here all the time in SoFla and you can't tell they were even dented unless it was a huge dent, and even then you wont see it unless you are trying to.

All the best.

Old 06-07-2005, 03:56 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion

ORIGINAL: osteodoc08
If it is a good body shop, then you have nothing to worry about. If it isn't, well, let's just say "Go on, take the money and run.."

Another thing is to see about is if your insurance/body shop offers a lifetime warranty on the body work. If it starts to peel, rust, leak, etc. they will have to fix it.
They do offer lifetime coverage, but it is just the hassle of having to be without it everytime something additional comes up.