2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Newbie with starting problems...

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 08:06 PM
gulleywalker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie with starting problems...

I have a 2001 Ram 4x4 with the 5.9l.. I have driven this truck daily since I bought it about 6 months ago. The previous owner told me that the only problem he ever had was that a couple times the truck would not start after raining. This has never happened to me. A couple days ago the truck would not start (wasn't and had not been raining). My wife tried starting the truck with the remote start, she didn't realize it didn't start... truck repeatedly tried starting until the battery died. I tried jumping the truck but it would only turn over... THe previous owner told me that he never changed spark plugs (has about 140,000 miles) so I decided to start there. I changed the spark plugs and spark plug wires (I was careful to keep them in order). This didn't seem to change anything so I replaced the distributor cap and rotor. Still turns over but won't start. There seems to be good fuel pressure and spark. Should I replace the battery, as I have been jumping the truck each time I try starting it? I would appreciate any suggestions.

Old 10-11-2010, 08:10 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,384 Likes on 3,124 Posts

See what you lose. If you have good fuel pressure, AND spark, while cranking more than three seconds.... something else is awry.

Old 10-11-2010, 08:26 PM
gulleywalker

i know, i'm shivering in the corner right now..

Old 10-11-2010, 08:32 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,384 Likes on 3,124 Posts

where at in michigan? Still pretty nice where I am.

Old 10-11-2010, 08:41 PM
gulleywalker

I'm in Breckenridge... I'm not shivering from cold. I'm shivering in fear of what it will take for me to get my truck running! I'm pretty inexperienced mechanically and am completely lost when it comes to the situation I'm in... The caveman in me says fuel + spark = running truck.

Old 10-11-2010, 08:43 PM
seabass202
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you might have fuel pressure at the fuel rail but, are the injectors letting that fuel get to the combustion chamber? you could listen for them to cycle with someone cranking it for you. or you could dribble a little fuel into the plenum and see if it will pop or start for just a moment to help isolate the problem.

Old 10-11-2010, 08:47 PM
gulleywalker

thanks seabass, i did notice that there was a tiny amount of fuel on the new plugs (don't know if that tells me anything about the injectors). i will give that a try.

Old 10-12-2010, 08:08 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Check and see if the PCM has any stored codes .

Old 10-12-2010, 09:54 AM
Twisted Metal
Captain

Ok, first off charge or replace the battery. Depending on how old it is. Don't keep trying to jump the battery, you not getting full voltage. If the battery is as old as the plugs you took out? Replace it. A fuel pressure gauge will help eliminate some guesswork. Have you checked that you are getting spark? Sorry to ask these questions, but I saw no mention of them in the OP or others. Replacing the plug,wires,cap and rotor is basic manitanence, not nessecarily a fix to the problem.

Quick Reply: Newbie with starting problems...