2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

100K miles...

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2010 | 09:51 AM
chromyelow
|
Default 100K miles...

I have been driving around in my 01 1500 reg cab since last feb when i first got her, and i must say that she has given me no probloms what so ever, except for a water pump, and i am quiet happy with her and have done regular maintenace. I do most of my driving in the city and when i get the urge head out to Corpus or San antonio and stop along the small town in between. She had 85K on her when i got her and now im reaching the the 100K mark, i dont knw how the previous owner must of treated her but seems like it was taken care of. Im gona give my truck some TLC by the end of the month and since this is my first dodge i have no idea what to use as far as brands and aftermarket companies do for our trucks. I plan to get a new cap and rotor, plugs, wires, and am thinking about taking out the radiator fan and installing an electical fan, since i havent found a V6 set up for it, do you think a 5.2 5.9 set up would work for the electric fan set up? She has a V6 and other than an aftermarket drop in air filter and a borla single in/out exhaust muffler it has not been molested in any way. I am not looking for a high performance set up, just a normal daily driver, long drive set up that wont give me probloms and keep my truck being reliable. Any suggestions will be appriciated, thanks.

Last edited by chromyelow; 10-19-2010 at 09:55 AM. Reason: update
Old 10-19-2010 | 10:03 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Folks seem pretty happy with the Accel tune up kit available from summit racing, among other places. Others swear by genuine mopar parts.....

if you still have your owners manual, there should be a chart for things that should be done at 100K. Most, you can prolly do yourself, in your driveway.

Welcome to DF.

Old 10-19-2010 | 10:04 AM
drewactual
Champion

I had a Dakota with the 3.9 years ago... great truck.... the only two things I ever did to it were water pump and catalytic converter.. She was running strong when I sold it for $1200... Damn, I wish I still had that truck- she would have been great to beat around in...

anyway- about your e-fan: I just completed mine and couldn't be happier.. You need to be concerned about how much air you move... I would guess (and being a guess means it would be wise to find a chart to reference) that 2500-2700cfm would be sufficient. I bought a flex-a-lite which produces 1750 for real cheap- like, stupid cheap ($20)- and opened the box just for the controller... which brings me to controllers... Hayden makes a good one for <$20, flex-a-lite for around $50, and there are several others.. You can grab up a fan off Ebay for $30 or so... I rec 10ga wiring and soldered points, which will cost you an additional $15 or so... For a grand total of <$100, you can have an efan rig that will work better than any clutch fan ever thought about...

I did mine for one reason only- the only time I've ever come close to overheating was while maneuvering at very slow speeds or reverse, and while towing... I tested that the morning after my install, and it didn't come close.. That was nice.. What was also nice was the fact I let a few more ponies out of the engine- I would be scared to guess how much, but it was noticeable as soon as I started to move- THAT, was nice too. I noticed at least as much power gain as I did with the H&S 1.7 RR's...

Good luck dude!

Old 10-19-2010 | 10:37 AM
dodgeram07
Champion

change the trans fuild

Old 10-20-2010 | 07:23 AM
chromyelow
|

Thanks guys, so the replacements are genuine mopar or accell? good. now im pointed in the right direction, summit will here from me soon. And about the efan, 100 bucks is great and ill be on the look out for it.

@dodgeram07, i completly forgot about the tranny fluid, thnks.

Old 10-20-2010 | 10:38 AM
03neonSE
Veteran

Rear diff. fluid change, replace O2 sensors. O2 sensors are most neglected item. The manual that with our trucks don't tell us much. My buddies 08 Ram manual comes with alot more. Normally rear diff. fluids are suppose to be changed every 50k miles.

Quick Reply: 100K miles...