2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Lets see your e-Fan setups...

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 11:29 AM
unsivil_audio
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lets see your e-Fan setups...

Guys I've been really contemplating this, as I've only begun working in my engine bay and I really don't like how there is just enough room that you can't climb up there but just enough that you need a step stool to reach everything. I have a few other reasons as well, but overall I just think its a good idea.

List what size fan you're running, how you wired it, and approximate cost of your setup.

Old 10-25-2010, 01:35 PM
Gav1n8
Veteran

Dual 15 inch electric fans. Flex-a-lite. Got them off ebay. Actually bought two single 15 inch electric fans for 100 each. Just followed the instructions when it came to wiring it up. You probably don't need dual 15s. single 15 probably be okay depending where you live. dual 12s would be good too. Not a hard install. MAYBE a increase of 1 mpg, might of gained 5hp. Would I do it again? yes.

Anyways theres probably bunch of other topics about this if you search.

Old 10-25-2010, 01:44 PM
BlueBeast2
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The amount of CFM's our trucks need you pretty much need 2 fans. There was a thread a while back that said what CFM we needed but I forget what it is now.

I have dual Proforms 1 16" and 1 14" wired to a Summit dual fan relay kit. You'll need to wire up a 3rd relay for your AC with the summit kit though.
This was during wiring them up. All them wires are pretty much not seen now
Name:  2009-12-06162007.jpg
Views: 352
Size:  77.1 KB

My truck has only gone over 180 one time and that's cause I was stick in a field and not paying attention to the temps. Normal everyday driving they work great. I have noticed my headlights flicker from time to time not sure if that's from the extra power draw or not

Old 10-25-2010, 02:41 PM
99dodge318
Record Breaker

what are those 2 black cans next to your rad? is that the overflow and washer fluid? where did you get them? the cost?

Old 10-25-2010, 02:55 PM
drewactual
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just finished mine a couple weeks ago.. I went with two 16" @ 2700cfm's each.. One is set up as a 'pusher', (which drops the cfm rating somewhere to the 2400cfm range), and the other a puller.. they draw a total of 26a together..

I used a flex-a-lite controller, and 10ga soldered points all around.. even dressed it up with the flex-tube stuff and silicone where the tubing meets the housing..

I couldn't be happier.. The only time I've ever gotten hot before the efan was while towing, and usually in reverse gear where there is zero natural flow.. The clutch fan just can't keep up, and she's come close to overheating several times doing this.. I put the efan through the paces the morning after I finished it, backing up about 5k# a couple hundred yards through some tight turns.. she never even broke halfway on the dummy temp gauge... this made me happy to say the least..

I would be scared to guess how much power was gained, but it is noticeable for sure..

good luck!

and btw- there is a chart avail for cubic inches/horsepower per cfm.. If I'm not crazy, I think the 5.9L Magnum needs 3200cfm...

Old 10-25-2010, 02:59 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

I run a single 15" inside the stock fan shroud. The Black Magic 180 Extreme fan from Flex-a-Lite blows 3300 CFM. That is more than enough. About $260, maximum draw of 18 amps.

With a high CFM fan like that, and the stock shroud, it is more than adequate cooling. I know you said you didn't want the stock shroud, but it does help with cooling. Only way to get around it is to overkill it with powerful dual fans, and then you don't have the stock look anymore, and (depending on the kit you get) you risk overtaxing your alternator. The only thing I don't like about Blue Beast's setup is that the fans are hanging from the radiator, which even as light weight as they are, the radiator is not designed for that. I am glad it is working out for him, I just disagree with how the manufacturer of those fans had him install the kit.

Only problem I have had with my Flex-a-Lite is that the adjustable temp control that it came with blew out after only a few months of normal use. Replaced it with a Hayden unit from O'Reillys, much smaller and seems to work better.

Old 10-25-2010, 03:09 PM
BlueBeast2
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

99dodge: yes that is the overflow and washer tanks. I got them used for $200. Moe's sells them for over $300. They ain't cheap but I wasn't gonna put them ugly stock tanks back on.

Jason I didn't like the idea either but said screw it and just did it that way

Old 10-25-2010, 03:52 PM
fjmg
Amateur

Some of the dodge musclecar guys run taurus (I know, I know "a what") electric fans. Somewhere (wish I could remember where) there was a comparison and they flowed a quite high cfm, Not to mention they are quite plentiful (read cheap) in the wrecking yard.

Old 10-25-2010, 04:40 PM
mjonesjr
Professional

Originally Posted by fjmg
Some of the dodge musclecar guys run taurus (I know, I know "a what") electric fans. Somewhere (wish I could remember where) there was a comparison and they flowed a quite high cfm, Not to mention they are quite plentiful (read cheap) in the wrecking yard.
The Ford Taurus efan's are a 2 speed fan. On the high setting they flow about 4,500 CFM. The low setting flows about 2,500 CFM.

The only draw back to the Taurus efan's high speed is the initial amp draw. It draws about 70A for a split second. If your controller is not designed to handle that, it will fry it and your wiring.

Old 10-25-2010, 05:19 PM
unsivil_audio

So everybody is just wiring them always on? Anybody try wiring them to a temp switch?

Quick Reply: Lets see your e-Fan setups...