2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Front Brake bleeding Question?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2010 | 09:31 PM
Camo Kid
|
Default Front Brake bleeding Question?

I have a 98 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4x4 with ABS. I decided to change the fluid in my brake system. I used a Turkey baster and removed the old fluid in the M.S. I then filled the M.S. with new fluid. I bled the P Rear then the D Rear. I moved to the P Front and I cannot get any fluid to come out of either front bleeder. I tried with the key on and the motor running. What am I doing wrong? Thanx

Last edited by Camo Kid; 10-26-2010 at 05:18 PM. Reason: Solved
Old 10-26-2010 | 01:54 PM
MilesBFree
Professional

So are you having the wife, girlfriend, kid, or other person push down on the brakes while you open and close the bleeders? Sorry if you know this, but not everyone does.

Old 10-26-2010 | 05:17 PM
Camo Kid
|
Default Mark as Solved

Yes under pedal pressure. The problem was both front bleeders were plugged!!! What are the odds? I changed both of the front bleeders and am good to go.

Old 10-26-2010 | 05:19 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Yeah, used to be, you couldn't buy JUST the bleeders, had to get the whole caliper... Now, "help" sells them in a package. Much cheaper.

Old 10-26-2010 | 05:25 PM
MilesBFree
Professional

My bleeders have rubber caps on them. Not sure if these were stock and somehow they have miraculously stayed on it since then (it was one-owner).

I have speedbleeders on my car and they work great (no need for a 2nd person to pump the brakes). Anyone tried them on one of our trucks?

Old 10-27-2010 | 01:17 AM
af78954
Amateur

I have a 98 Ram 1500 2WD 5.2l w/rear ABS..Had ABS & brake light come on..I replaced the front brake pads on both sides but did not do the rear shoes..After replacing the front pads, brakes feel very mushy..My next step is to bleed them..Do I bleed the front first or rear first??or does it matter??
As far as my ABS light, saw a few threads & found out it has to do something with the rear ABS sensor on the differential-possibly replacing it or disconnecting battery for 10-15 min to see if will reset..
Can anyone help?

Old 10-27-2010 | 10:38 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

You need to pump up the brakes before you drive it after replacing the front pads. If you didn't crack open any of the hydraulic lines, a mushy pedal indicates you have another problem as well. (was it like that before you did the brakes?)

Bleeding is done in this order: Passenger Rear, Drivers Rear, Passenger front, drivers front. DO NOT run the M/C out of fluid, or, you get to start all over.

have you adjusted the rears?

ABS light is most likely the sensor in the diff. You can try cleaning the contacts on the sensor, if that doesn't help, Replace it.

Old 10-27-2010 | 04:43 PM
af78954
Amateur

The fronts were a little mushy at first and the Lt frnt was starting to grind to rotor..Rotor was fine..Had machine shop cut both..I did pump pedal before test driving and pedal felt the same as if I didn't do anything to them..Haven't touched the rears yet..I'm thinking it may be one of the rear brake cyclinders..I find out when I tear it apart..Hopefuly, cleaning the rear ABS sensor will clear the lights on the dash..

Quick Reply: Front Brake bleeding Question?