2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Bedliners

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 09:37 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I just got a couple more cans of the Rustoleum spray for my yard trailer that is 4' x 8'. 2 cans barely covered the bed of it. I have heard that it will take 7 cans for a full size truck bed.

I have a love/hate relationship with my Herculiner. I put it on last summer and it looked great. Then a couple months later it started pulling away from itself and it resembles the cracks in a dry lake bed. It isn't peeling off the truck bed at all, it just seems like it's shrinking or something.
I didn't use the UV protection because the instructions didn't say that it was required, only that you could use it to protect the shine. I figured that it was a truck bed so I didn't care about the shine.
The Herculiner failed the hammer test and it can't hold up to dragging anything heavy across the hump at the bottom of the tailgate. I dragged some 6' logs out of the bed and it rubbed a good bit off right there, it didn't get all the way down to the metal but it's close.
It does have a really good grip though, anything you throw in there isn't going to slide an inch. It might roll but it isn't going to slide.

I contacted Herculiner twice about my issues three months after application and 6 months after and both times they said that they would send a replacement gallon and the UV protectant but it never came.

I've been thinking about getting some of the Duplicolor stuff and just putting it on top of the Herculiner.

Here's some pictures of mine

Sanded/scuffed/cleaned with acetone.

First coat done

Working on the second coat

Second coat done

Done and dry

DirtyGirl, I think I'm in love with your truck. Do you have any more pictures of it?

Last edited by Sheriff420; 11-10-2010 at 09:45 AM.
Old 11-10-2010, 09:47 AM
Jr. Mechanic
Grand Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=redheadhunter21;2304936]Was not very impressed with the roll on herculiner that we did on my dads truck, its coming off faded bad, going to do the duplicolor bed armor on my truck after it gets painted, have used the duplicolor truck bed coating spray can for all sorts of things and couldnt be happier with the results and durability[/QUOTE

Bed Armor is the best roll on product on the market. MUCH better than Herculiner and Rhinoliner. I used it on the bumpers, cladding, and rockers on my Jeep. It has a mixed in UV protectant, unlike all the rest. Why should you have buy something extra then brush it over the top to keep it from fading?

Old 11-10-2010, 03:15 PM
Green1500
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used bed armour and I am very happy with it. Prep is everything. Don't try to just use the little scuff pad they give you. I used a cut off wheel with scuff pads to sand it down then cleaned it with duplicolor prep spray. So far so good no peeling or chips, and i have hauled right much since.

Quick Reply: Bedliners