2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Fuel filter replacement/evap code

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 01:27 PM
A_POLVADO
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel filter replacement/evap code

Truck has 110000 miles on it the fuel filt I beleive has never been changed it is above the gas tank correct and is there anything special I need to now about.

Now to the evap gross leak code just did the plenum gasket plus had the system smoked no signs of leaks. But when they were smoking it I opened the gas cap there was no smoke in the fuel tank that doesnt seem right. Replaced some hoses turned the light off 200 miles later its back on any other areas i can check? i checked all the hoses.Checked the canister in the back it could be clogged dont know how to check that

The tech that checked it told me that the purge sol may not be working properly that i should replace it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated Im tired of 12 mpg

thanks

Old 10-27-2010, 02:33 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,387 Likes on 3,127 Posts

How's about some info on your truck? I am assuming that it is 98 or newer, given the code?

If you are getting a 'gross' leak, do a search here, on EVAP, and check out some of the threads with pics. Someone else was chasing this, and had a good write up on it. Can't remember the members name though....

Old 10-27-2010, 02:45 PM
A_POLVADO
Professional

IM SORRY 2001 5.2 ram 1500

Old 10-27-2010, 02:48 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,387 Likes on 3,127 Posts

I don't think the truck has an external fuel filter. I do believe it is in the tank...... not exactly an easily serviced part.......

Is that 4x4? (might want to put your truck info in your sig..... makes it easy. )

There is also a factory service manual available for download in the FAQ section of these boards, might wanna have a gander at that, and see if it sheds any light on the problem. Unfortunately, the "Diagnosis" part is a separate manual, that I have not been able to come up with an online version of.

Old 10-27-2010, 04:04 PM
A_POLVADO
Professional

Thanks

Old 10-27-2010, 08:40 PM
holmesd789

There is a vapour filter, leak detection pump, and purge solenoid on the passenger side mounted up near the front. Check all the hoses that connect these together and trim off all cracked ends. Then follow the large rubber hose down the frame to underneath the passenger side of the vehicle, checking all the joins to the hard vaccum line, and trimming off the ends, then drop the canisters that are under the frame, and do the same to the connections on them as well. I have also had this code when the hoses into my air filter box were cracked or had holes worn in them.

There is no fuel filter per say, it is a sock type thing in the gas tank inside the fuel sending unit. If your fuel pressure and flow is correct your filter shouldn't be clogged.

Old 10-27-2010, 09:01 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

as said, check all the vac lines in the evap system. also maybe replace the gas cap. the purge solenoid is available at autozone. i don't know where to get the leak detection pump. i think i might need that.

you can drop/tilt the evap canister bracket. it'll look like this.
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...-leak-fix.html

Old 10-28-2010, 10:52 AM
A_POLVADO
Professional

Yea I have done all that no carbon in lines I have to have a problem in the ldp and the purge sol gonna replace both this weekend thank guys for thr info.

Quick Reply: Fuel filter replacement/evap code