2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

HIDs

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2010, 08:45 PM
bambikiller3006
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went to ddmtuning also got some 10k 50w works great in the stock housing, they are kid off too bright some i aimed my headlights lower and havent had anymore people flashing at me. I highly recomend this sight, get the raptor kit!!!

Old 11-07-2010, 03:08 PM
MilesBFree
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Thumbs-up on the DDM HIDs

Here's a review after installing them:

- Kudos to DDM for making a kit that simply went right in.

- No flicker

- Slightly to moderately blue at 6K

- Recommend the heavy duty wiring harness - for 55W lights, no use taking a chance on the stock wiring not being up to snuff. I am not sure how they sell it for $10, as the relay, the relay holder, and the connectors have to cost that much or more even in quantity. So I don't think they are just trying to make an extra buck or anything - in fact I would have been skeptical if they had NOT offered this sort of wiring. Just do it.

- My only complaints, and these are pretty minor, are that they could have made the harness about 2 feet longer which would have made it easier to mount the ballasts and route the wiring. Also the instructions could have been all in one place - I needed 3 or 4 more diagrams in addition to the instruction sheet. These are on DDM's web site, but there is nothing to tell you you need these until you start scratching your head and then go searching for them. One example is the pin-out or wiring assignment - the blue, brown, and white wires on the left were not plugged in when I received the kit, since it has the same parts for 9004 and 9007 types which have a different pin-out; the correct wiring is shown in the following pic:

- I also used Meguire's plastic polishing kit to remove the scratches and yellowing from the headlight lenses. Worked like a charm, and I am sure Mother's or other kits would work as well. Here is an after photo (it is not yellow, that is just an artifact of the reflection of the trees in front of the truck):

- One other thing to note: the lights go right into the housing if you line up the slot in the housing with the slot on the bulb holder (I didn't get that...):

- All buttoned up:

Old 11-07-2010, 07:34 PM
BigRedRam95
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can you order just the relay harness

Old 11-07-2010, 08:20 PM
EndIsNear
Record Breaker

Can you take a pic from the drivers seat at night of the light pattern? I'd like to see if they scatter as much as my clear euro's do...

Old 11-08-2010, 10:56 AM
MilesBFree
Professional

Not sure if they sell just the relay harness alone, but you could call or email them. If not, you could piece it together pretty easily - I have used the Hella relays and holders before and they worked fine. If you Google them, I am sure you could find the 9006 and Amp connectors on-line.

I will take a pic from the driver's seat this evening.

Old 11-08-2010, 01:45 PM
dodge15004x45.9
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have a question for the HID guys.... I was thinking of getting new lenses as well would that help not blind people or would I just be wasting money?

Old 11-08-2010, 02:10 PM
MilesBFree
Professional

If you are looking at new lenses to get rid of the yellowing or haziness, try the Meguir's or Mother's plastic polishing kits (polishing compound and a small buffing wheel). I did and it worked great.

Or were you thinking of getting a different type altogether?

Old 11-08-2010, 02:37 PM
dodge15004x45.9
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Diff altogether.

Old 11-08-2010, 02:48 PM
MilesBFree
Professional

Sounds interesting - do you have any links?

Old 11-08-2010, 05:55 PM
notanexit7
Captain

Originally Posted by lord0fsal3m
so ive been thinking about HID's and i was wondering if anyone knows a good conversion kit to get off ebay, (9004, perferrably plug and play) thinking 10k or 12k and doing something with my fogs, probably not hid but a simulated blue so it looks the same (anyone have the number on hand?)

and how well do they work on the stock housing? im going to upgrade just not sure on what to get yet
DDM tuning is great. I got the 6k ones and they are super bright. Only thing is I dropped one while installing it and broke the white plastic piece so whenever I hit a bump the passenger side flickers like you wouldn't believe and it points down. I don't have the extra cash to buy another one at the moment. Biggest pain in the butt is hiding all of the wires. Kinda off topic but how did you mount the rectangular lights next to the stock fog light? I can't seem to find any place stable to put mine there.

Quick Reply: HIDs