2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

HIDs

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 06:58 PM
lord0fsal3m
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Name:  104_0226.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  179.0 KB

welded that on the bumper supports

Old 11-08-2010, 07:17 PM
notanexit7
Captain

Awesome, thanks.

Old 11-08-2010, 08:43 PM
MilesBFree
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I didn't get a pic of the pattern due to the lights being way out of whack. I think the previous owner had them aimed to compensate for the low only working on one side and the high only working on the other (and one of the bulbs was a 9007, not a 9004). So he had the highs switched on, and the one side with the high working aimed down. Or some such idiocy.

The pics I took didn't show much pattern, but would have been good for squirrel hunting

I played with it a bit after I got home but couldn't get it 25' from the garage door since the house has a side-load garage. Will need to look for another building tomorrow; too beat from work tonight.

But it does a nice imitation of the death star

Old 11-08-2010, 08:44 PM
TheBigRedOne

If you ever drove that pile at me, I'd turn on my 4 Roof HID's, and the HID's in my high beams. Get that crap off the road.

Old 11-08-2010, 08:46 PM
MilesBFree
Professional

Agreed. Not driving it at night until I get them aligned.

Old 11-08-2010, 09:33 PM
EndIsNear
Record Breaker

Lol I have to agree with BigRed. Nothing wrong with HID's, just aim them correctly before blinding other people. I hate when people lift their trucks and never fix their headlights to compensate, or run their brights everywhere they drive (had to break my wife of that habit)... Can't imagine misaligned HID's.

Well all in all they look really good. Glad everything was successful.

Old 11-16-2010, 08:20 AM
MilesBFree
Professional

I had the lights aimed by a local body shop to make sure they were done right since my garage is a side-load and I can't get 25' away and didn't want to explain to the security guard at the Home Depot why I was flashing my lights against the side of his building for an hour.... Very cheap.

Here are pics of the pattern, from the driver's seat, low beams forst and then high:

Hope that helps....

I am sure the pattern would be a lot better if the bulbs were installed in a proper projector housing instead of the stock ones, but overall the stock ones are not bad - they have decent focus and a good spread.

Since the DDM kit was about $75 with the heavy-duty harness, and stock-type bulbs would have been about $30 - 35, it was a no-brainer for me.

Old 11-16-2010, 11:29 AM
TheBigRedOne

That beam pattern is terrible. Look at all the light out on the left. Enjoy endless high beam flashing from oncoming traffic. Keep HID's where they belong, HID projectors and off road lamps.

Old 11-16-2010, 12:14 PM
MilesBFree
Professional

Actually, the light on the left is aimed farther down than the one on the right. That is why more of the light is hitting the pavement closer to the truck on that side.

That squares with my understanding of the way they are supposed to be aimed - you want the left one aimed lower to minimize how much it is shining into the eyes of oncoming drivers. Is that wrong?

If you stand in front of it and look into the lights, you can see the left light is aimed lower too. I did this at about 10 feet, and at around 200, and they looked aimed properly.

If anything the left one is aimed a lot lower than the right; there is a huge patch of bright spot immediately in front of the truck on the left.

I followed my wife home a few nights ago, and asked her how the lights looked in her rearview mirror, and she said they were about the same as any other HID-equipped car.

And the pattern is going to be the same as stock since the reflector and lens are the same, and the bulb is pretty much the same size and position as the stock ones.

How is a bulb from an HID kit significantly different from an equivalent wattage bulb of any other type, if they are installed in exactly the same headlight assembly? I don't mean minor differences such as color, life, etc.

Old 11-16-2010, 12:27 PM
EricCartman
Veteran

A HID bulb does not illuminate the same way a halogen bulb does. A halogen bulb uses a filament, and HID is an arc. The light intensity within the bulb is at different locations. When a HID bulb is used in a halogen housing, the sweet spot of the HID is not in the same location. When it is used in a reflector designed for a halogen bulb, the light output scatters.

This website has a few pictures to detail what I am talking about: http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...nversions.html

Cartman

Quick Reply: HIDs