2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Long cranking before starting

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 03:26 PM
rwisaacks
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Long cranking before starting

Hello everybody. Starting yesterday morning when I started the truck it took about 8-10 seconds of cranking over before finally starting. Usually it starts almost instantly. I hear the fuel pump come on for a few seconds just like normal. I've done a little digging and experimenting and I've found that when I cycle the key off and on 3-4 times it will start up pretty quick. Also, when it is running and I pushed the valve in the test port, fuel shot out about a foot(I did that this morning while it was still cold to lessen the risk of fire), but I turned the motor off and pushed the valve down and didn't get any fuel at all within 2 minutes of turning it off. I don't have a fuel pressure tester and I can't find anyone that has one I can borrow. Time for a new fuel pump or is it something else making it lose pressure so quickly after shutdown? Thanks in advance!

EDIT: After I get the truck started it runs just as good as usual.

Old 11-11-2010, 03:30 PM
J415
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would start with the basic tune up. Take it from there.

Old 11-11-2010, 03:41 PM
rwisaacks
Professional

Originally Posted by J415
I would start with the basic tune up. Take it from there.
My bad, I changed plugs, wires, cap and rotor 2 months ago. It's been running great since then.

Old 11-11-2010, 04:11 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,393 Likes on 3,133 Posts

Check fuel pressure, and listen and see if the pump primes when you first turn the key on.

Old 11-11-2010, 04:21 PM
rwisaacks
Professional

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Check fuel pressure, and listen and see if the pump primes when you first turn the key on.
I'm still trying to get my hands on a fuel pressure tester, so far no luck. Like I said in my first post I can hear the fuel pump whine for a couple of seconds. My concern, unless I'm way off base, is that there is no pressure in the fuel rail immediately after turning the truck off.

Old 11-11-2010, 04:29 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,393 Likes on 3,133 Posts

I actually ordered a gauge online, from TPIS some years back. (when I had my 'bird.) it had a long hose on it, so I could place the gauge where I could actually see it when I was turning the key...... It has come in handy on more than one occasion... and, buying the tool is never a bad thing, right?

Old 11-11-2010, 05:04 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Many auto parts stores will rent out fuel pressure gauges. They usually want the full retail price as the deposit these days, but you get most of it back when you return the tool.

Old 11-11-2010, 05:26 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by rwisaacks
but I turned the motor off and pushed the valve down and didn't get any fuel at all within 2 minutes of turning it off.
That's means the regulator is bad. They might still be available from the dealer, but it will most likely cost the same as getting a whole new pump from a parts store.

Quick Reply: Long cranking before starting