2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 04:22 PM
prowler213
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help!!

I have a 1999 dodge ram 1500 2wd 5.9, truck was driving fine on freeway and street when i came to a red light it just turned off wouldnt turn back on so i had it towed to my house, im like 90% sure its the fuel pump i wanted to do the work myself. how hard would it be and how long would it take? also what brand fuel pump would u guys recommend? ... any web sites for parts?

Old 11-11-2010, 04:25 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,388 Likes on 3,128 Posts

Fuel pump isn't too bad. I would verify it was indeed the pump first though. A fuel pressure gauge is easy to come by. Parts store will probably rent you one.

There are a few other threads about fuel pumps, I don't recall which brand was recommended though... a search should turn up many results.

Buy it locally. That way, if there is a problem, you can show up on their doorstep..... Harder to say "no coverage" in person, than it is over the phone.

Old 11-11-2010, 09:54 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

verify the fuel pump is bad by checking pressure at the rail (49psi) as well as verifying you have 12v at the pump and/or that its running (or not). fuel pump is expensive, so don't guess wrong.

check out rockauto.com and some places will price match them (+shipping), +tax.

also check out raising the bed instead of dropping the tank. that way you can test it before putting it all back together. only a few bolts, tail light plugs, and no straps to mess with.

Old 11-11-2010, 10:01 PM
a-hall
Rookie

Originally Posted by prowler213
I have a 1999 dodge ram 1500 2wd 5.9, truck was driving fine on freeway and street when i came to a red light it just turned off wouldnt turn back on so i had it towed to my house, im like 90% sure its the fuel pump i wanted to do the work myself. how hard would it be and how long would it take? also what brand fuel pump would u guys recommend? ... any web sites for parts?
Same thing happened to my 318 except it was the crankshaft position sensor. If it is indeed the fuel pump I would only go back with the chrysler one. I bought a new one for mine and upon research i found all aftermarket pumps to be lower psi than the stock pump. Thats why i spent the 500 dollars on the mopar pump.

Old 11-16-2010, 05:41 PM
prowler213

thank you guys for the info

Old 11-16-2010, 05:57 PM
prowler213

so before starting on that fuel pump i decided to check my ignition coil, plugs, wires and cap, everything looked good until i removed the cap and look inside of it all the terminals were black (burned) and the center one was grinded down. I found out why it wouldnt start, bought a new cap and rotor and it turned on just fine. Next day im on my way to school and entering the freeway (the on-ramp turns to the right) the rpms start jumping and it felt like it was gonna turn off but once i straightened out the truck it ran fine but still felt sluggish. when i would give it gas it would shake, it turned of on me twice that day and would lag to turn back on .. any suggestions??

thank you

Old 11-16-2010, 06:16 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

#1, A thread with the subject line being "HELP" , helps no one when they do a search here for a problem that may be the same as yours.

#2, do a search on DF for plenum.

#3, check the fuel pressure with a gauge.