2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

99 ram wont start after plenum rapair

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 08:36 PM
fowdalla
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 99 ram wont start after plenum rapair

hey new to the site hopeful i can get some good info here. seems like you plp know you're stuff. so i did the plenum repair today on my 99 5.9 ram. it was blown pretty bad and the truck had started to ping. got it done, all new gaskets, everything put back together EXACTLY like i took it apart. go to try to start the truck and it cranks and cranks and could crank all day but it wont start. im getting a "no bus" code on the dash. i know it has somthing to do with the comp. for the truck. i pulled a spark plug and stuck it in the boot and cranked the truck and its not getting spark and i dont hear my fuel pump either unless i un plug the first connector into the comp. does any one have any suggestions for me to try??? iv checked all the fuze's and there all good. if anyone has any advice or ideas PLEASE chime in. i dont want to have to give the Damn dealer ANY of my money. im pretty mechanicly inclined so shoot away with the ideas.

Old 11-11-2010, 08:48 PM
01Rammer

Did you disconnect the negative battery cable before doing the repair? Did you remove any grounds?

Old 11-11-2010, 08:50 PM
fowdalla

yes i disconected it b4 i started taking anything off. and no i didnt take any grounds off. i think its the "no bus code thats keeping it from starting im almost positive

Old 11-11-2010, 09:36 PM
outdoortoys
Amateur

Check all of the plugs at the rear of the intake. (Distributor and crank position sensor)

Old 11-11-2010, 09:39 PM
Maxx_Magnum
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think that no bus code means that either somethings wrong with the PCM, and/or the instrument panel cannot communicate with the PCM for whatever reason.... But I can't see how you would have messed any of that up though doing the plenum...? Hang tight we've seen the no bus problem before so someone will know more about it Welcome to DF!

Old 11-11-2010, 09:59 PM
redneck_ram
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did you take any of your accessories off ie. p/s pump, alternator? if you took your p/s pump off the top left stud has 2 grounds on it and will keep the motor from starting if they arent grounded..check those, and report back.

Old 11-11-2010, 10:04 PM
Gav1n8
Veteran

pcm is bad or has a bad connection... Jiggle it or flick it your choice... I have no idea how changing the plenum had anything to do with the nobus code.

Old 11-11-2010, 10:21 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

check the grounds on the power steering bracket. there are about 3 of them in a group. i left those off and it caused a no bus.

next thing to check is a pinched cam postion wire under the intake at the distributor. you may have to do it by feel.

i think it was 'master tech' who said to unplug all the sensors and see if you can get the no bus to go away. then add them back one at a time.

no bus can be a missing ground or a sensor shorted to ground.

Old 11-11-2010, 10:33 PM
fowdalla

i took the alternator off but not the power steering. ill check the grounds in the morning. and were exactly is the cam position sensor located? i already tried unpluging everything and it was still the same. i have the neg. batter cable off tonight to see if it magically re sets the computer lol

Old 11-12-2010, 12:21 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Cam position sensor is in the distributor. (otherwise known as a pickup coil..... even though it really isn't.)

In order to move the drivers side injector harness out of the way, you should have pulled at least one ground off of the top stud by the P/S pump. If that one isn't on there, or simply has a bad connection, you will get a No Bus error.

Quick Reply: 99 ram wont start after plenum rapair