2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Jasper replacement rear axle?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2010, 09:24 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i wonder how many tanks of gas and hours of driving it would take to get from georgia to new hampshire. if i followed the appalachian trail it would be 2000 miles...

ha, that'd be some pissed off hikers.

Old 11-13-2010, 09:25 AM
Sixtysixdeuce
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dhvaughan
this would imply that they bought a complete axle assy from jasper.
That's how they sell 'em.

Originally Posted by dhvaughan
most shops would just rebuild the failure, or get a junkyard replacement..
You would think, but somehow people manage to sell Jasper's overpriced garbage every day.

I personally never would. I go the routes you mention, depending on price and whether or not the housing is OK. Since most of the salvage companies that pull the parts and deliver are a bit over the "you pull it" prices, it generally ends up being most economical to rebuild. For example, the last time I checked on a 9.25" from Stadium, one of our primary used suppliers, they wanted $650. We'd then mark it up to about $900 for sale, and another ~3 hours for parts transfer and install, bringing the total to almost $1,300 with tax. Whereas I can rebuild it with Yukon gears and a complete install kit with bearings from Randy's for about $1,150 out the door (~$500 parts and $600 labor, half the tax since labor is tax free).

I don't know what that Jasper axle would cost, but I'm quite sure retail on the part alone would be considerably more than either total I mentioned. And it's still an inferior part. After the issues I've had with a few engines and transfer cases from them, I tend to actually be very terse with their reps and chase them out of the shop.

Old 11-13-2010, 09:44 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

$2119. it wasn't clear if that included installation or not. i think it did.

Old 11-13-2010, 09:48 AM
Pwall
Veteran

it comes with a reach around

Old 11-17-2010, 03:33 PM
dugluvzsher

Thanks for the input I think I will be going the route of having my current rear rebuilt.

Quick Reply: Jasper replacement rear axle?