2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Ram 1500 won't start - I'm stumped

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2010, 05:15 PM
dsulli
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Ram 1500 won't start - I'm stumped

Need some advise, I bought a 96 Dodge Ram, 1500 , 4 wheel drive, 5.9L engine, automatic transmission, with about 124,000 miles.
After about a week the check engine light came on. I found the following codes;
12 - Battery disconnect
31 - canister purge solenoid circuit
17 - Engine too cold for too long.
This weekend I was planning to replace the thermostat and check out the evap stuff, but when I went out to bring it into the garage, the truck would not start.
Cranks very good - so I know the battery / starter are not the problem.
I pulled the coil wire from the distributor and got good spark while cranking.
I pulled one of the plug wires, and I have good spark to the end of the plug wire.
I don't have a fuel pressure gauge, but I press the valve stem on the fuel rail and gas come out, so I know I have fuel present and at least some pressure - okay I don't know I have some pressure, but I know there is fuel present in the rail.
I pour a small amount of gas into the throttle body and crank - but it doesn't fire. I try some starting fluid at the throttle body and still doesn't fire.
I plugged in a "noid" light at one of the injectors and the light blinks while cranking.
I have no reason to suspect internal engine issues, I drove it home last night and it was running fine when I shut it off.
It seems like an ignition problem, since I can't get it to fire after dumping gas down the throttle body, but I have good spark to the end of (at least one of the) plug wires.
I'm at the end of my troubleshooting ideas..... help?

Old 11-21-2010, 06:08 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,385 Likes on 3,125 Posts

Pull one of your sparkplugs, and see if it is wet. I wonder if the CTS didn't fail, and the PCM is now flooding out the motor.

Old 11-21-2010, 07:10 PM
rond97sport
Professional

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Pull one of your sparkplugs, and see if it is wet. I wonder if the CTS didn't fail, and the PCM is now flooding out the motor.
i agree with the coolant temp sensor being bad.i just did 1 on chevy 3500 the gauge read fine but the engine was hesitating when warm and running very rich ,checked it with the scanner and found the temp sensor was reading -21 f. at operating temp.

Last edited by rond97sport; 11-21-2010 at 07:14 PM.
Old 11-22-2010, 08:58 PM
dsulli

You guys hit that nail on the head! I pulled a plug this morning and it was still wet with gas. After changing the plugs and thermostat, it fired right up.
Now the engine warms up to about 200 - 205, with the 195 degree thermostat.
Thanks for the help.

Old 11-23-2010, 01:25 PM
rond97sport
Professional

so did you replace the sensor?

Quick Reply: Ram 1500 won't start - I'm stumped