2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

anyone swap a 5spd in place of the slushbox

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2010, 12:08 AM
pavement_hater
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jsmith155
one last thing could you explain a little more on the trans bracket and crank sensor

The trans bracket bolts between the transmission and the rubber trans mount. On the auto it has around maybe a 1" drop. On the manual, the rubber mount sits much closer to the trans. If you haven't already search for and download the factory service manual and factory parts manual. I found links to both here on Dodgeforum. You will be able to see the differences in trans brackets as well as the factory parts numbers. I bought the correct trans mount from Mopar Parts America for like $26 plus shipping.

For the crank sensor you do need to buy a new one as the one for the auto is a different length. You also have to modify the plug. (Atleast I did on mine)

There is a little plastic ridge on one side of it. I believe it was near the center on the auto. But I could be wrong and its the exact opposite. But you will see what I am talking about if you compare the two.

_______|________
| Auto
|_______________|

___________|____
| Manual
|_______________|
On the manual sensor that little ridge was more to one side so you could not just plug it in. I took a sharp razor and shaved it off. Plugged it up and it works fine

Last edited by pavement_hater; 12-04-2010 at 12:13 AM.
Old 01-31-2011, 05:50 AM
joekool4
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone have any price ranges? I would like to do this if and when my auto starts to go (its only 2wd so no transfer case or front drive shaft). also plan to go carbureted when the engine goes (close to 200,000 miles, fingers crossed).

Last edited by joekool4; 01-31-2011 at 05:53 AM.
Old 01-31-2011, 11:01 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Depends on how you go about it. If you just pick up a donor truck, and scab all the parts of of it, you can probably do it for under a grand. If you go all new.... 10,000 isn't out of the question...... (maybe a little high....)

Why would you want to go carbed? Crappy fuel economy, poor mixture consistency, no comensation for altitude, and a selection of other ills.....

Quick Reply: anyone swap a 5spd in place of the slushbox