2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

anyone swap a 5spd in place of the slushbox

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2010, 07:16 PM
HankHill
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone swap a 5spd in place of the slushbox

what does this entail as far as modifying wires, crossmembers, driveshafts etc.

did they put nv4500's behind these trucks from factory?

whats a good price for a 5spd 4x4 with a bell that will bolt up to a 360?

Old 11-25-2010, 07:34 PM
lazyboy
Rookie

Hi new here and cannot help you out but am running a 5 spd on my 318 and love it. would be interested in info on this as am building a 360 to swap in and would like to glean as many details as I can to make it go smooth.

Doug

Old 11-25-2010, 08:07 PM
HankHill

well a 318 is the 5.2l magnum, which is a small block and a 360 5.9l magnum is also a small block, just swap the motors because the bellhousings should match.

back to my question any info is appreciated

Old 11-25-2010, 08:10 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Originally Posted by HankHill
well a 318 is the 5.2l magnum, which is a small block and a 360 5.9l magnum is also a small block, just swap the motors because the bellhousings should match.

back to my question any info is appreciated
Not that easy.

First, being a half-ton, there is the nv3500 trans in there. There is a reason they never came behind the 360....... rather short life span in that location.

nv4500's came in 3/4, and one ton trucks. (even with a 360)

The engine will drop right in, yes, but, the PCM will not run it very well. Need to reflash it for the larger motor. Hemifever right here on this site can get you the tuner you need, for 275.00. Solves that problem.

Changing from auto to manual is a might more interesting. You will have to change the PCM, and a wiring harness or two as well. (or, live with a perpetual check engine light.) Not to mention pedals, the hangars for them, clutch hydraulic system, etc..... Having a donor truck makes it easier, as everything you need is right there.

It can be done, and probably has been, but, it isn't a trivial undertaking by any stretch of the imagination.

Old 11-25-2010, 08:24 PM
HankHill

I've swapped from e4od to the zf5 in my powerstroke, only took me a day once I had parts.

do the cummins nv4500 have a different bellhousing than the small block 360?

also do you know anything about driveshaft lengths and does the crossmember need to be relocated because the auto is longer than the nv or vice versa?

only thing I would not be up to par with is swapping the pcm.

Old 11-25-2010, 08:27 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

NV4500 came behind the 360s in the heavier trucks. I do believe it IS longer than the auto though...... Cummins is a different bellhousing bolt pattern than the v-8s. (as are the V-10s)

I don't think you need to replace the crossmember, just elongate a couple holes for the mount.

I would grab the driveshafts out of the donor vehicle as well. Trouble with that is, 3/4 ton trucks use the 241HD transfer case....... so, you are going to have to get creative with driveshafts..... (maybe some funky U-joints, that have different size caps......) Either that, or just have the stock ones modified.... I don't have exact specs. Sorry.

Old 11-26-2010, 05:05 PM
pavement_hater
Veteran

I just posted this a couple days ago when a similar question was asked. Here is a copy of what I wrote.............

Having just done this I will say its a little bit of work, but not nearly as bad as some make it out to be. I have a 318 and swapped in a NV3500. The 360's ran a NV4500 but the install should be pretty much the same with few differences. I pieced my swap together as I could not find a donor truck locally.

A quick run down of the needed parts to make it work.

Transmission
Transfer case or swap out input shaft as they are a different spline count. I replaced my whole unit.
Clutch and pressure plate
Flywheel
Clutch Hydraulics
Clutch and brake pedal
Transmission bracket...the mount is the same but the bracket between the trans and mount is different
Crank position sensor...may have to modify plug a little
Plot bearing
Clutch neutral safety switch or ground neutral safety however it cannot be a permanent ground as it will throw a code and cause truck to stall if auto computer sees constant ground. Do not know if this is also true of a manual computer.
Throwout bearing
Drive shafts....Mine is a 4x4. My rear drive shaft worked but I did have to change out the front shaft

It will run and drive with the automatic computer however you will have about 5 codes and a check engine light. I am still running the auto computer at this time.

The NV4500 has a removable bell housing. So you may need it as well if not with the trans depending on where your parts come from.

I think I covered most of the parts but I could be forgetting something. I also found a dash pocket to replace the fold out cup holder and the floor console for cheap at a local yard. Not that you need them unless you want them.

A good swap thread can be found here. Its in a Dakota but its pretty much the same.
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...-5-2l-4x4.html

Old 12-03-2010, 03:55 AM
jsmith155

pavement hater ther then the codes does it run right? or are there any engine bugs

Old 12-03-2010, 10:47 AM
pavement_hater
Veteran

Originally Posted by jsmith155
pavement hater ther then the codes does it run right? or are there any engine bugs

Runs great. Its been a month since I did the swap with no issues. Just remember that neutral safety cannot be permanently grounded or it will throw another code and cause it to stall. You can either install the clutch switch or set it up on a toggle switch.

Old 12-03-2010, 03:52 PM
jsmith155

one last thing could you explain a little more on the trans bracket and crank sensor

Quick Reply: anyone swap a 5spd in place of the slushbox