2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Installed the hughes plenum repair kit and I believe I failed

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 08:52 AM
zxbud
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plenum

Rj9909, any update on this project? I just bought a '99 with a 5.9l and I see that plugs 5,6,7,8 are a little oily and so shortly will be making this repair. How's it going?

Old 02-27-2011, 03:37 PM
Rj9909

Originally Posted by zxbud
Rj9909, any update on this project? I just bought a '99 with a 5.9l and I see that plugs 5,6,7,8 are a little oily and so shortly will be making this repair. How's it going?
All is good so far. I am still getting white residue in the oil but I am going to wait till it gets nice out since I dont drive the truck ever. What do you mean by a little oily? On the electrode end?

Old 03-01-2011, 11:44 PM
zxbud

Originally Posted by Rj9909
All is good so far. I am still getting white residue in the oil but I am going to wait till it gets nice out since I dont drive the truck ever. What do you mean by a little oily? On the electrode end?

No, but oily threads and ceramic. You see, I replaced the Champions with Bosch and the old plugs were barely tight, almost loose so the oil was traveling up the plug past the washer. There's no rough running or missing right now but I tested the old coil and it read 2.3 ohms and so replaced it with a new one which read <1 ohm. It runs fine now but you should have seen the mouse nest which blocked the intake that I found after I bought it. I took pics of it.

Old 04-04-2018, 06:18 PM
Michael92
Rookie

Hey rj. That white residue is from your dip stick or oil cap? If it's oil cap it's more then likely moisture buildup in the engine when it's cool, then hot. From personal experience if it's on the dipstick when you pull it out, that's a fun-different story of course.

Old 04-04-2018, 06:52 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,269 Likes on 3,016 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael92
Hey rj. That white residue is from your dip stick or oil cap? If it's oil cap it's more then likely moisture buildup in the engine when it's cool, then hot. From personal experience if it's on the dipstick when you pull it out, that's a fun-different story of course.
RJ hasn't been here for seven years.

Quick Reply: Installed the hughes plenum repair kit and I believe I failed