2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

viper motor swap

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 05:22 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,385 Likes on 3,125 Posts

Ouch. Just about ten grand for the motor????? Makes my wallet hurt....

Old 11-30-2010, 06:44 PM
dodgeman5000
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have seriously considered the v10 out of the 3/4 ton although it is my second choice, it is much cheaper. I really just want a mega sleeper with the v10 i can put pipes on it and it will hopefully sound like a v6 with the badges to match. this truck is 2wd btw. i've only found one good example of the 3/4 ton v10 swap to the half ton. any ideas?

Old 11-30-2010, 06:46 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,385 Likes on 3,125 Posts

Frame on the heavier duty trucks is reinforced more to support the weight of the larger engine. (not to mention the torque.....) Would also need a trans to match, and all the electronics/harnesses to make it go. If you could find a 2wd v-10 truck.... would be cheaper/easier to just buy that, and fix it up.

Old 11-30-2010, 06:47 PM
Gerehead8
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For truck v10
Motor mounts may be the same. Need 2wd 47RH tranny. Need wiring harness and computer (from same year truck will make it easier).

Old 11-30-2010, 07:09 PM
dodgeman5000

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Frame on the heavier duty trucks is reinforced more to support the weight of the larger engine. (not to mention the torque.....) Would also need a trans to match, and all the electronics/harnesses to make it go. If you could find a 2wd v-10 truck.... would be cheaper/easier to just buy that, and fix it up.

it would be cheaper if i didn't already have the half ton, and it would be easier but not half as cool. the main point of the project is for it to be a sleeper, and not to mention a very rare truck

Old 12-01-2010, 05:41 AM
Sixtysixdeuce
Captain

It'd be more practical and economical to build a 5.9 Magnum into a 500+ HP stroker than to go the V-10 route. Cheaper still would be to do it with a Carbureted RB engine. One can build a 500 HP 440 stroker for about $4k if you know how to shop around. Of course, using an overdrive trans behind B/RB engines is tricky business that requires cutting the bellhousing off a BB torqueflight and mating it to the RH/RE body. Most guys who swap BB into newer dodges just run a 727.

Old 12-01-2010, 06:02 PM
Slomojo
Veteran

What in the world happened to just building the damn V8 you already have? You can redo the top end and the stock bottom end and transmission will be able to handle 400 HP easy. Redo the bottom end and transmission with a steel crank, steel rods, nice pistons, and some heavy duty tranny ish and you can easily hit and handle 450-500 HP or more. It will cost you,just like everything else, but at least then you can work with bolt on stuff and not get into the custom fab ish other then machine shop work. Start checking out the hot rod magazines and online articles. I've read sooo many times about mopar small block rebuilds and 500 HP is by no means far fetched for these magnums. As a matter of fact, the magnum heads on the engine are some of the best factory made flowing heads ever put on a smallblock by chrysler excluding maybe the 68-70 heads installed on the original race 340's. Remember this saying, "It's all in the Heads." One of the most important things is just getting everything to flow smoothly into and out of the cylinders in which case the heads play the biggest role.

Bump up the compression ratio a little bit and there is up to 20 HP right there, you can do that with gaskets and minor machine shop work alone. Get rid of your hydraulic lifters and get some solids for an addition 20 HP. Replace your cam and then really start to notice a difference. Nice valve job will go a long way, index those plugs, rework your intake and exhaust, etcetera etcetera.

You just spent 500 dollars on a truck and now your planning on spending a few thousand on parts that wont even bolt up without heavy modification? Give me a break. Better yet, save your money for dropping at least 3-4 thousand on a transmission that will be able to handle 400-500 HP first. Then start worrying about your engine. If that thing is tuned up right its got all the power you'll need for smooth cruisin. Once things are running nice and smooth for sure, then let the time come to start building that motor but dont just jump into something like a V10 cause you really have to know what your doing in order to make things look and run right. As much as I talk about this stuff, I still don't know ish compared to some people like RM Indy and from the sound of this thread you know less then me, so please stick to the simple stuff and take things one step at a time. Don't make the mistake so many people make by jumping into stuff wallet first when they hardly know anything about the issue. Start doing research and reading tech articles in engine and hotrod magazines. Start checking out your options for a V8 just be sure to use them wisely.

Last edited by Slomojo; 12-01-2010 at 06:06 PM.
Old 12-01-2010, 10:26 PM
dodgeman5000

ok i really dont think you guys are getting this

Old 12-01-2010, 10:28 PM
95RAM360
Grand Champion
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

i understand....you wanted to have a rare truck...something that hasnt really been done...cost wasnt really a factor, and you were just throwing out the idea...am i right?

but actually that link i posted is a good deal.

Old 12-01-2010, 10:42 PM
Slomojo
Veteran

Ahh forget what I said, I just took a look at 95Ram360's link and now I'm on your side. Drop the 9500 on that V10 motor and tranny setup. Looks good, what are you waiting for? By the way, can I borrow it when your finished putting it all together?

Quick Reply: viper motor swap