2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Front Axle Seal Help

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2010 | 11:38 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame

^ sorry. but not true.

here's some good pics. when i first bought my truck i looked at these pics and thought, oh my god, what kind of pita monster have i bought, and i hope i never have to tear it apart that deep. 4 years later - i've replaced the CAD w/posilok, then hub/bearings and brakes in a second tear down. one axle u-joint and seal in a third "NOW" repair, and then the other u-joint, both seals, and axle spline/collar cleanup in a fourth teardown which required removal of the differential.

http://www.pavementsucks.com/tech-article-5.html

http://www.pavementsucks.com/tech-article-3.html

Old 12-03-2010 | 11:51 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame

Originally Posted by DodgeMagnum318
i have a 99 dodge ram and this past summer i did 13 passenger side axle seals.
LOL. i think that's a record.

I replaced the rear axle seals in my daughter's 4 runner (one side or the other) about 8-10 times, using several different brands of seals before I admitted that I MIGHT be doing something wrong, LOL. I was using my 1-11/16 socket and 3 pound hammer to seat the seal and i was bending the metal face of the seal and screwing something up.

i changed to the "be gentle" method and it magically started sealing fine.

for our D44 axle seals, it took me a couple of tries to build a seating tool out of welded up washers that would seat the seal and not be too small or out of position, or any other problem that mess up the seal and/or pulls it in crooked. zman swears by the $150 seating tool from quad4x4. i agree that its nice, and quick, and foolproof. it just kills me to spend that much money.

Old 12-03-2010 | 02:45 PM
Agostage
Professional

sorry, but actually it is true, in the links you have he's replacing the hubs too, which I said in that case you would need to remove the axle nut

Last edited by Agostage; 12-03-2010 at 02:48 PM.
Old 12-03-2010 | 03:08 PM
Z24Dawg89
|

Originally Posted by Agostage
You don't need to take the axle nuts off to do the seals or the U-joints, only if you're changing the hub itself.

So this is inaccurate?

Ok... So I am second guessing if I need to replace axel seals or not. I have some fluid that is flinging on my fender wheel on my passenger side. Best I can tell, its axle fluid. The rubber piece at the end of the axle is completey broke loose at the end of the axel and it is moist there. Should I just check my fluid leve, and then recheck in a week or so? I have a short video I took and just posted to my you tube account here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7EZ_ev5A_Y

Take a look and tell me what you guys think.

I am getting a little nervous about doing this myself as I hear you guys talk about this make shift tool.

Thanks for all the help, you guys are awesome.

Old 12-03-2010 | 03:11 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

I don't really see any evidence of a leak at the axle tube there. The seal is actually almost a foot inboard of the U-joint...... the outer 'seal' you are looking at is just a dust seal. (and yes, it holds the dust and crap in the axle tube very well.)

Clean if off really good, and see if you get any fluid on the end of the tube.

Old 12-03-2010 | 04:42 PM
Agostage
Professional

Originally Posted by Z24Dawg89
So this is inaccurate?
No, it's accurate - but I do agree with Hey You, your axle end looks pretty clean. When my seals started leaking, it was obvious.

Old 12-03-2010 | 05:07 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

Looks pretty dark to me under the seal. That, along with the grease on the inner fender liner, says blown seal. And true, you don't have to take the axle nut off, but good luck getting the axle back in without damaging the seal, with the added weight of the hub bearing assembly still attached.

Old 12-03-2010 | 06:47 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame

the knuckle and u-joint looks clean and dry to me. when mine were leaking it was all a big greasy mess including a puddle under the truck.

fill up the diff and monitor it.

Old 12-03-2010 | 06:58 PM
Z24Dawg89
|

Originally Posted by dhvaughan
the knuckle and u-joint looks clean and dry to me. when mine were leaking it was all a big greasy mess including a puddle under the truck.

Will do. I will update as I monitor. Thanks to everyone for their input.

Old 12-03-2010 | 07:03 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

Do you have those dust covers at the end of the axles?

Originally Posted by dhvaughan

Quick Reply: Front Axle Seal Help