2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Front end loose after installing leveling kit

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 02:27 PM
Joshfinn
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front end loose after installing leveling kit

2000 dodge ram sport
4x4 5.9L with 285/75 R16's

Ok so i just installed the 2 1/2" hell bent steel front coil spacers. It installed fairly easy and looks great. But my truck seems very bouncy now. I also replaced the shocks all the way around while i was at it. The sway bar bushings looked like they've seen better days but doesn't that just keep the truck level during corning? Im also feeling what i can only describe as a creaking in the steering wheel while turning slowly.

Before the install i would feel a vibration in the front end at 45 mph exactly but assumed it was from old tires being out of balance.
I just bought brand new ProComp Mudd terrains and dont want to install if the truck is going to fall apart on top of them... Please any info would be greatly appreciated.

Old 12-02-2010, 02:44 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,385 Likes on 3,125 Posts

Recheck all of your work. Make sure everything is tight, and where it is supposed to be.

Check all front steering linkages, and also the track bar.

What shocks did you go with?

Old 12-02-2010, 03:06 PM
Joshfinn
Rookie

Everything is tight, i rechecked after doing a test drive. (shock bolts, tower nuts, stabilizer top nut) Not sure how to check the track bar. I did the shocks prior to doing the level kit, they were really bad. Truck rode like a champ untill putting on the level kit. I went with the monroe shocks from advanced auto, i was planning on the rancho's but they didn't have them in stock at the time. To install the level kit i had to take off the top nut of the stabilizer bar to let the coil drop down. The bushings weren't cracked but looked a bit lopsided. The guy at advanced said that the monroe shocks would work perfectly with a level kit, but who knows if he just made that up or what..

Old 12-02-2010, 03:38 PM
TheBigRedOne

Shocks are prolly too short and are restricting travel. That and tension change on the coil. Long story short, leveling kits = fail. Longer arms, different coil, some sort of entry level rebuildable shock, as well as relocating the bump stop would have been a much better choice, for not that much more $$.

Old 12-02-2010, 04:58 PM
Joshfinn
Rookie

do you think shock extenders would do the trick? I really don't want to buy new shocks again. Well let me rephrase that, i really cant afford new shocks again haha.

Old 12-02-2010, 05:04 PM
TheBigRedOne

Haha, no shame in that. Try it out. Better yet, build some. Get some metric thread and a coupler. If that works, leave it that way and get shocks when you can afford them.

Old 12-02-2010, 05:06 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Well , which is it, loose or bouncy? It should ride exactly the same. You can try the shock extenders, but you shouldn't need them for a 2 1/2 lift. Jack one side up and see how far it goes up before the shock is at it's limit.

Old 12-02-2010, 05:07 PM
TheBigRedOne

Prolly not far.

Old 12-02-2010, 05:36 PM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

45mph bounce is normally caused by wheel balance.
After I installed the same leveling kit I didn't have any bounce.
After I installed the 2" add a leafs in the rear it made the rear end pretty stiff (and bouncy unless loaded down).

I made some shock extenders for the front since the ones you can buy have the wrong threads for my shocks.

I've been thinking about making some extenders for the rear but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

Last edited by Sheriff420; 12-02-2010 at 05:40 PM.
Old 12-02-2010, 06:31 PM
Joshfinn
Rookie

Loose or bouncy? To be honest im not sure, but the ride is definitely more rough. When i replaced the shocks prior to the level kit, it felt like a brand new truck. Now it feels like the shocks are crapped out or something, i can feel all the bumbs through the floor boards.

I like the idea of making my own extenders (I saw your write up earlier)

Unfortunately im stuck working at the fire dept for the next 24 hours and didn't bring my jack so i cant see how the travel is.. I'll look around the station hopefully there's a jack around here somewhere..

Quick Reply: Front end loose after installing leveling kit