2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Want to remove CC but need some help

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2010, 02:16 PM
drewactual
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm not a very good photographer, as these shots will demonstrate...

this is looking from the ground up to the drivers side collector plate, and pre-cat below.. both o2 sensors are visible..

another shot looking up at the area above the collector plate, and to demonstrate to those w/o this cali rig just how tight that area is...

the factory crossover W/O that dang Y pipe...

My two little cats crammed in the same area as the big-ol-cat used to be.. these are magna high flows, with the bung for an upwind o2 fitted in the upwind side.. I had to offset them for them both to fit and I could have done a better job- but the area to seal them up (lay a bead) was really tight, so I offset them and figured I would be the only one who would ever know.. then I opened my mouth here about it, and now the whole damn world knows... go figure...

Look closely at the front cat (right) and you can see the downwind o2 coming off the left side of it... I used that for placing my downwind o2 from my passenger side... Hey, it works..

Here is a better shot showing the passenger side downwind o2 sensor in the place intended for the upwind o2 on the cat itself... for those of you reading wondering 'why?', well, because the true upwind o2's are above the pre-cats, and I just needed somewhere to put the downwind from the passenger bank.

where the pipes come INTO the true x magna muffler.. as you can see, the area is tight to work in..

Looking aft at where the two pipes come out of the magna muffler..

A shot looking down at the drivers side header, with the pre-cat a little above dead center in the pic... this is trying to show you how dang close the pre-cat is to the collector plate... it's floggin RIGHT there.. this is the reason I left them alone.. I couldn't find anything like them aftermarket, as they are tiny AND they have a bung welded into the top of them, and there isn't enough room to work anything else in there..

My intentions were to eliminate the pre-cats, and run true dual dang near straight pipes..

I purchased two magnaflow high flow cats, and the smallest I could find that still had 2.5" pipes, and with a bung in place intended for the upwind sensor.. The ones I got were small, but not small enough.. I dropped the collectors and cut the Y out, and laid them on the ground..

I slipped one of the high flows on the pipe and held it up in the area these pre-cats live, and they simply wouldn't fit.. But having the pre-cats out offered me a chance to look at them, and they were intact and pretty open as it was.. So I returned them to the set-up as they were..

Again, I re-used the factory crossover, but I eliminated the factory Y pipe.. The drivers side bank is pretty much as it was.. It is monitored both upwind and downwind in the same positions it was before..

The passenger side has the pre-cat just as before, but it was monitored downwind by an o2 placed in a bung that was part of the factory Y pipe.. I had to relocate it..

The two pipes (left bank, right bank) come together and run parallel into those high flow cats I bought (replacing the big-ol-cat).. the one that scrubs the passenger side is offset closer to the engine and I used the bung on it for the passenger side downwind o2.. the drivers side is slightly behind it, and I just capped the bung with a bolt..

they run parallel to the magnaflow true x muffler, and come out the rear the same, and dump under my rear bumper on either side of the hitch..

mission accomplished.. true duals.. both banks monitored and both crossing each other in an X.. Like I said, this rascal BREATHES..

I'm thinkin' I was pretty complete here, but if there is anything I left out or you want to know just ask- I'll help if I can.. I'm no expert, but I get lucky sometimes and things work out..

Quick Reply: Want to remove CC but need some help