2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

OEM Fog Lights Melting Lens

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 11:51 PM
southern13guy
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OEM Fog Lights Melting Lens

I've had a problem with my fog lights melting the plastic lens. The white part and cracks are what I'm showing. The liquid/melting is from something else that we used to seal the cracks. Here's what they turned into (not sure where the rust came from).

I replaced them with these OEM replacements...

I replaced them in March of this year, so it's been barely 9 months, and it's starting to do this again. The lens is fogging up and getting all melted on the inside of the lens. Any idea why this is happening? What type of bulb should I be using in them? I haven't changed the type of bulb since I got the truck, but maybe it's too high of wattage?

Old 12-04-2010, 12:12 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,274 Likes on 3,021 Posts

Might be to hot of bulbs in there. I think the stockers are only like 35watts? If that? Pull one of the bulbs, and see what they have to say.

Old 12-04-2010, 03:57 PM
Road Hammer
Professional

Originally Posted by southern13guy
I've had a problem with my fog lights melting the plastic lens. The white part and cracks are what I'm showing. The liquid/melting is from something else that we used to seal the cracks. Here's what they turned into (not sure where the rust came from).

I replaced them with these OEM replacements...

I replaced them in March of this year, so it's been barely 9 months, and it's starting to do this again. The lens is fogging up and getting all melted on the inside of the lens. Any idea why this is happening? What type of bulb should I be using in them? I haven't changed the type of bulb since I got the truck, but maybe it's too high of wattage?
Must be higher wattage bulbs than OE. I leave mine on all the time with no issues at all.

Old 12-04-2010, 11:23 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had the same thing happen with my truck. The bulbs burned, so I pulled them, matched them to something on the shelf, and next thing I know the lenses turned colors, cracked, and have started bubbling/bulging.

Old 12-05-2010, 11:16 AM
ben04srt

Anything higher than 35 watt bulbs will melt them every time.
I used to melt the ones in my Neon all the time.
The Clear style fogs seem to hold up better than the older style.

Old 12-05-2010, 07:08 PM
pavement_hater
Veteran

I have modified my fog lights to accept a different bulb. I am running a 55 watt bulb and run my lights all the time. I have never had any melting/fogging of the lights. Been running them this way for well over a year. Stock is actually 37.5 watt.

Old 12-05-2010, 10:12 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by pavement_hater
I have modified my fog lights to accept a different bulb. I am running a 55 watt bulb and run my lights all the time. I have never had any melting/fogging of the lights. Been running them this way for well over a year. Stock is actually 37.5 watt.

Please share the details of that mod.

Old 12-16-2010, 06:11 PM
southern13guy
Rookie

Well I finally got time to check out the bulbs (and it was finally warm enough for me to want to work on my truck). I have 37.5w bulbs in them. I can't see going much less than that.

Old 12-16-2010, 07:36 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,274 Likes on 3,021 Posts

Stock is I think 27 watt..... that may indeed be the problem.

Old 12-16-2010, 09:58 PM
Salex007
Captain

live in Florida and finally warm enough to work on truck, wow wished I lived in Florida rather than snow covered Iowa

Quick Reply: OEM Fog Lights Melting Lens