2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Trans fluid - # of quarts

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 04:28 PM
candymancan
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well i dont have anything to flush the thing with, i would have to bring it to a shop unless you know of a way to flush it ? The 2 disconnected hoses are hanging there open. So i figured as well bugs, water and other stuff probably got into it.

It doesnt look like itll take alot of effort to re-route the hoses as the lines going to the aux cooler are long. I just need to disconnect the inlet on that and connect it to the outlet on the main radiator, and plug the inlet back into the main radiator.

However i dont have the slightest idea how to flush the radiator to clean it up so i dont get stuff into my transmission. I dont know why the guy did this in the first place, maybe he did it because it was easier ? Or maybe he did it because he figured he didnt need the main radiator anymore with his big tranny cooler he put in. Or maybe the transmission part on the main radiator was leaking ?

He installed as brake controller and put a class 4 hitch on the vehicle for the maximum 6500 pounds towing. So im going to assume he just didnt think about running it from the main radiator then to the 2nd radiator.

Im reading on google and some articles say it isnt absolutetly needed to do it this way cooling is only 5% improved supposedly. Honestly can i just leave it like it is ? I dont tow anything yet anyway, it should be getting plenty of cooling right ?

Here is a pic of the radiator. Yes i know Im a Jeep owner, but when it comes to transmissions I go to this forums dodge people seem to know more on the 46RE then Jeep people.

Old 12-09-2010, 04:42 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,270 Likes on 3,017 Posts

No, you don't have to do it RIGHT NOW..... just something you should address when the spirit strikes you.

To flush it out, just run some harsh fluid thru it in both directions several times, until the fluid of your choice comes out nice and clean. Then, flush it again with at least two quarts of ATF +4. (no pumping harsh solvents thru the trans, thankyouverymuch.)

Get rid of the check valve as soon as you can though, they are notorious for clogging, and smoking the trans.

Old 12-09-2010, 04:58 PM
candymancan
Veteran

Why do you have to run through the main radiator anyway ? I figure if the engine runs around 195f-200f then wouldnt that hot coolant warm the transmission up and not cool it.

Or is it for this reason ? To warm it up to normal temp ? I live in Virginia and its like 20f outside now. Im wondering if the transmission is going to the cooler and getting "cooled" down outside in the cold air, wouldnt this cause the transmission to be too cold ? Im guessing this is the reason to go to the main radiator first ?

Cause google is showing mixed results, some people run right to there radiator's they bought, others run through the engine radiator then the 2nd radiator. How do you remove the check valve ? Does it just unplugg from the metal line ?

How do you flush this thing anyway ?

Old 12-09-2010, 05:18 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,270 Likes on 3,017 Posts

You are correct in your surmise. But, keep in mind, that the engine thermostat is fully open at 195, and the trans cooler is on the opposite side of the radiator from the inlet from the engine... so, temp there is going to be much lower. Yes, too cold, is just as bad as too hot...... (well, ok, maybe not quite as bad...... but, still, not recommended.)

Where you are geographically located makes a big difference. If you live in a climate where it doesn't get bitter cold... (florida, california, etc.) you don't need to route thru the in-the-radiator cooler. For you though.... I would suggest it.

Old 12-09-2010, 06:28 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

... but if you live in a climate where it gets hot (South/Texas/Southwest) you'll want the additional cooling that the in-radiator heat exchanger provides, so it oughta be there anyway. My own rule: ATF goes trans -> radiator -> aux cooler always always always. Automatic transmissions are very expensive while the bits that protect them are cheap, so there's no point fiddly-futzing around to save a few nickels.

I ordered a can of Trans Flush Transmission Cooler Flush from PATC when I ordered my transmission from them. $12/can, you'd probably want two since the system's been open for so long. It's about 85% or so down this page and you can probably find it locally.

Old 12-09-2010, 06:41 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

You need to take the radiator out, to properly flush it in all reality, the lower line is ABOVE the bottom of the cooler part of the radiator. All kinds of crap settles down in that area. And without being able to tilt it, that crap is not all going to come out.

Old 12-09-2010, 06:46 PM
LexBeBrolic

Would pay money to see pics of this process!

Old 12-09-2010, 06:59 PM
candymancan
Veteran

Originally Posted by UnregisteredUser
... but if you live in a climate where it gets hot (South/Texas/Southwest) you'll want the additional cooling that the in-radiator heat exchanger provides, so it oughta be there anyway. My own rule: ATF goes trans -> radiator -> aux cooler always always always. Automatic transmissions are very expensive while the bits that protect them are cheap, so there's no point fiddly-futzing around to save a few nickels.

I ordered a can of Trans Flush Transmission Cooler Flush from PATC when I ordered my transmission from them. $12/can, you'd probably want two since the system's been open for so long. It's about 85% or so down this page and you can probably find it locally.

Oh it gets hot in Virginia, this year was hottest on record, 100f days for a month and its very humid here. You sure the main raidator actually helps with the cooling process ? My thoughts on this are 200f coolant, with ATF coolant = hot transmission. While going through an AUX cooler only would avoid this.

Anyway i drove for 10min to the store its 20f tonight, felt the pan its warm, and the cooler lines on the aux radiator were warm too, so it doesnt seem like its not warming not being like this. Haven thad issues with OD either, it shifts spot on even when the engine is cold.

Old 12-09-2010, 09:49 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by candymancan
You sure the main raidator actually helps with the cooling process ?
It won't do much at all when everything's running nice and cool, but if/when you work the transmission so it generates lots of heat that heat exchanger in the radiator will go to work, too.

Old 12-10-2010, 11:13 AM
candymancan
Veteran

Originally Posted by zman17
You need to take the radiator out, to properly flush it in all reality, the lower line is ABOVE the bottom of the cooler part of the radiator. All kinds of crap settles down in that area. And without being able to tilt it, that crap is not all going to come out.

From what i have been told its a flat tube that goes up, why would it be lower then the opening. I think your talking about the coolant flush, that stuff settles yes, but the transmission cooler line is a flat tube that starts on the end and goes up from what i gatherd.

Couldnt I just hook up a little manual pump and pump ATF through it for awhile to flush it out a little. Or even hook up the incoming line and leave the outgoing unplugged and turn the engine on and let the ATF run through it for a few quarts (reffilling as it goes). Wouldnt this flush it enough to rehook the system back to the main radiator.

Quick Reply: Trans fluid - # of quarts