2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Carrier bearing issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 04:22 PM
Kody
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carrier bearing issue

Hi guys,

I haven't posted here since i had my old 94 dodge but ive got an issue that i need other opinions on.

in august i bought 5" skyjacker lift kit for my 96 dodge ram 2500. it is 4x4 and ext cab 8ft bed. I have 37" tires on it.

In late september i was hauling a load of scrap metal about 45 minutes away and all of the sudden this crazy vibration occurs. I pull over and in the pouring rain crawl under the truck. It is the bearing. I pop it back in with a ratchet strap and continue on my way. a day later i got a new bearing and all was good again.

in mid november the bearing started to pop out of the rubber bushing i guess it would be called. I popped it back in and was on my way. a day or so later I took the bracket that holds the bearing off. I put wedges in it so that it is aligned with the driveshaft. Now the driveshaft is on a straight trajectory from the back of the t case to the rear axle.

that worked for a few weeks. Now recently the bearing has a little pressed in keeper. that popped out and allowed the bearing to slide out of the bushing. i popped it back a few times but it keeps comin out. Now it shredded the rubber bushing so it won't even stay in.

What should I do about this? I know I need to atleast get a new one.
My idea was to make a bracket to move the carrier bearing foreward that way the bearing cannot pop out even if it tries.

Do i need to drop it? My only question about that is why would i have to drop the bearing down if the driveline is straight?

Let me know,

Thanks,

Kody

And here is a picture before the 37"s I have 285s up front and 35 14.50's in the back

Name:  201009071824000.jpg
Views: 750
Size:  50.7 KB

Old 12-09-2010, 04:33 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Ok, mid-ship, or, mid-shaft bearing on the driveshaft, right? Pics would be good if you could..... Definitely replace it. I wouldn't think you would have to lower it for only five inches of lift..... however, timing says otherwise eh?

Is that one pressed onto the end of the driveshaft? (or, one end of one of the pieces....)

Old 12-09-2010, 05:41 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

IIRC, you can replace the drive shaft with a one piece driveshaft(or should I say full length) instead of having the hanger bearing.

Old 12-09-2010, 08:46 PM
Kody

Hi,

Yes it is pressed into the shaft.

I am definatly replacing it but before i do I want to get the problem sorted out.

When i pressed it on I used a hammer with a piece of pipe and i got it on there pretty good. Should i try to get it hydraulically pressed on?

If I were to drop it i don't know how much.

I shought about a 1 piece shaft but wouldn't that cause balancing issues? also it would cost quite a bit

Thank you,

Kody

Old 12-09-2010, 08:53 PM
drewactual
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

just out of curiosity, how many times do you think you ran that thing in 4wd with those 35" tires on the back and 285/?? on the front?

Old 12-09-2010, 08:56 PM
Kody

One time. It was in the loose dirt track at the truck pulls. front tires were pretty much racing slicks.

I did not abuse it either because I did not want to pay for a transfer case.

Quick Reply: Carrier bearing issue