2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Humming sound in reverse

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 08:27 PM
01Rammer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Humming sound in reverse

On a cold morning, I will shift into reverse backing out of driveway and it sounds like the tranny is humming. Doesnt do it in any other gears, and it only does it when its cold. Also WOT it slips around first, and second. Please dont mention the word rebuild.

Old 12-09-2010, 09:59 PM
minitrucker
Amateur

mine does these exact same things......but my tranny was rebuilt 20k miles ago..... im interested in hearing the answer

Old 12-09-2010, 10:05 PM
nmanchester
Amateur

from what ive heard the whinning noise is normal when cold. the slipping could be that it just needs the bands adjusted. im dont know the proceedure for that but it should be in the haynes manual. there might be some info on it here too if you look.

Old 12-09-2010, 10:06 PM
Gerehead8
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How is the fluid level?
Is the TV (throttle valve) cable adjusted properly?

You can tell its getting cold around the country as this question is popping up a lot. From what I have seen its normal. I am not sure what is causing it though.

Since I am curious, under similar circumstances that you are hearing the humming put the tranny in manual low (1) and listen for the hum.

Old 12-09-2010, 10:30 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

The pressure sensor (transducer) is also know to become 'saturated' at WOT, and fails to read correctly as well. Known issue for these trannys.

Old 12-10-2010, 08:31 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

as said, whining/groaning from the pump in reverse is pretty common. mine does it too.

for transmission - read throught MonteC's thread. he frequently recommends replacing gov pressure sensor and solenoid, including replacing it with a GM conversion kit. that's an easy job done just by dropping the pan and nothing else. after that, there is a sure-cure kit that can be installed with more effort. after that... its the unspeakable (you might back off the WOT to avoid WOW (wide open wallet)).

Last edited by dhvaughan; 12-10-2010 at 08:45 AM.

Quick Reply: Humming sound in reverse