2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Truck wont start and snows on the way!

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2010, 09:04 PM
Jalopy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Truck wont start and snows on the way!

Hi, I have a 97 ram 2500 5.9 V8. I went to start the truck this morning and the battery was dead. After charging the battery I tried to start it but wouldnt fire. I checked and found no spark and no fuel. I checked all fuses and relays, all checked out good. I have no power to the fuel pump or to the coil. I also found that the check engine light doesnt come on at all. Does this sound like it could be the ECU and is there any way I can check it. I found a very similar thread but didnt see what the outcome was to the problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Big snows comming my way and I got to get my truck running to plow.

Old 12-12-2010, 12:47 AM
rond97sport
Professional

it may well be an ecu but check all your battery connections .take them all off and clean them .make sure you have all good clean connections .your ecu is not powering up and it may be a simple corroded wire or broken wire at the terminals.

Old 12-12-2010, 09:33 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Swap the ASD relay for another one in the power dist center under the hood. See if that helps.

Old 12-12-2010, 10:56 AM
iwhitne
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

make sure you check your ground cable too.... it should be solid to the body with no play... you can also swap fused and relays around to diagnose any electrical issues

Old 12-12-2010, 11:54 AM
Jalopy

thanks for the tips..I cheked the batt. cables and chassis ground as well as all my fuses and relays. Any other ideas?

Old 12-12-2010, 02:18 PM
iwhitne
Record Breaker

we need more info... do you have any power to the gauges brake lights head lights ect...? or is the no power anywhere? Have you tried to applie 12 volt power directly to the fuel pump... there are a lot of fuse and relays to be checked.. i think there is one that goes to the ecu and multiple ign. and fuel relay under the hood and in the drivers side fuse panel.. double check everything...

Old 12-12-2010, 05:38 PM
Jalopy

all the lights, radio, windows, locks, work. The oil pressure, temp., and alternator gauges work. All the trouble lights work except for the check engine light. The fuel gauge does not work. The tach. doesnt work when engine is cranked over ( not sure if it is supposed to). I double checked all the fuses and relays. I havent tried to supply power directly to the fuel pump yet. After talking to a friend I tried installing a new crank sensor but it did not help.

Old 12-12-2010, 06:37 PM
iwhitne
Record Breaker

could very well be the ecu then... try picking one up at a junk yard

Quick Reply: Truck wont start and snows on the way!