2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

transmission prob help pleasee

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 11:04 AM
bmmorgan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default transmission prob help pleasee

2001 dodge ram sport 360, 46re, 2*4 130,000. leaving work one night i felt the tranny slipping pulling a hill, so i pulled over and it would even budge in R or D it sounded and felt like it was in N the whole time. so this weekend i took the pan off and replaced the filter new fluid. castrol. I cranked it up put it in R felt it and heard it go into a gear and rpms jumped a little, put it down in drive and same thing gas it a little gas and heard this metal on metal grinding sound. Now i know theres alot more things to be checked but what do yall think it could be now? stuck vb, bad band, adjustments needed??? iv been reading everywhere and asking alot of folks. and alot of different answers

thanks

Old 12-13-2010, 11:13 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,271 Likes on 3,018 Posts

If you are hearing rude noises..... probably time for a rebuild. Did you find anything untoward in the pan when you pulled it?

Old 12-13-2010, 11:23 AM
bmmorgan

the magnet in had some thick metalic goo on it, i was thinking that might had been really fine metal shavings from usual wear and tear? and there were two pieces of metal one was about two inches and one was about one in. they wear both about eighth in wide. looked like they belonged to a round maybe snap ring, if they were put together and made a full circle it would be about a 7 or 8 in circle maybe?

Old 12-13-2010, 11:36 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

The snap ring holding your overdrive unit together fell apart. you might be able to get away with just rebuilding the O/D unit, but, it has probably circulated a fair amount of crap thru the trans. Probably just a matter of time before the whole thing fails.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.... (and yes, I still have one foot in the stirrup.)

Old 12-13-2010, 11:41 AM
bmmorgan

well then thats the next thing on the list then to be done. rebuilding the od unit, haev you ran into a thread on here with some info on that?

but thanks alot for the help!! if rebuilding that can get it going for a little while thatll be better than the state its in now

Old 12-13-2010, 12:22 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Have a look in this thread. Some good links to walkthrus for complete trans rebuilding, just read over the parts you are interested in. Only kink in the process is you need to be able to compress a mean spring..... dodge has a special tool for it for use with a press. Some have just used c-clamps to accomplish the same thing.

Something else you might wanna consider is, just grabbing a known good O/D unit from another truck in the scrap yard..... see which way is less expensive, and take it from there.

Old 12-13-2010, 12:46 PM
bmmorgan

Wil do, thanks for all your help!

Quick Reply: transmission prob help pleasee