2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Steering Column Lock Washer

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 09:37 AM
jor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering Column Lock Washer

96 2500 V-10 5spd

I installed the Rock Solid steering clunk fix bushing but it will not loosen up. It is especially bad in the cold weather. I've been pouring on the silicone for weeks to no avail. Anyhow, I want to reinstall the stock setup but I can't get my hands on a replacement lock washer (had to destroy the original in the disassembly process, (photo). The dealer advised me that I would have to buy the whole column! Has anyone redone this area and if so, what did you use to lock the spring in place? Thanks.
jor

Old 12-14-2010, 09:42 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,269 Likes on 3,016 Posts

I would have a chat with the folks you bought the kit from, and see what they suggest. They may have a solution for you. (one way or another)

Old 12-14-2010, 11:13 AM
EndIsNear
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by jor
96 2500 V-10 5spd

I installed the Rock Solid steering clunk fix bushing but it will not loosen up. It is especially bad in the cold weather. I've been pouring on the silicone for weeks to no avail. Anyhow, I want to reinstall the stock setup but I can't get my hands on a replacement lock washer (had to destroy the original in the disassembly process, (photo). The dealer advised me that I would have to buy the whole column! Has anyone redone this area and if so, what did you use to lock the spring in place? Thanks.
jor

Did you test it before you installed the lock washer? If it was too tight, you were advised in the instructions to lightly sand the ID of the bushing. And did you leave a 1/16" gap between the bushing and the lock washer? If not, the two are binding, causing the issue. I would contact David (Ramsteeringfix Guy) and he might be able to give more info and possibly a new lock washer. You can probably TRY to pry it back a little. It's designed not to, but its worth a try. Enough force will move it, if it doesn't destroy the washer in the process.

Old 12-14-2010, 09:23 PM
jor

Yea, I followed the instructions explicitly. Used some steel wool on my already smooth column and a slight amount of lubricant. The bushing pressed right in and the column turned freely with just a little drag. I had 1/16" clearance on the washer. I took it out today and verified that the washer is clear of the bushing. I'm pouring lubricant on it now trying to free it up. It's a little better but not near where it should be. I'll take your advice about contacting the guy. If I can just get another washer, I'll restore the stock setup and live happily ever after. Thanks.
jor

Old 12-14-2010, 10:14 PM
EndIsNear
Record Breaker

Also verify with him that he sent you the right bushing. He could have made a mistake and sent the wrong one. seeing that they all differ from autos to standards, years, etc, you just might have gotten the wrong one. I just really haven't heard of this kind of issue before with the fix so I'm trying to throw some ideas to you lol good luck

Old 12-15-2010, 09:19 AM
jor

I wrote him and asked him for another washer. I suppose you could be right on the wrong bushing theory. On another forum, two guys has similar problems and one reverted to the original setup. The other loosened up sufficiently to drive. Haven't heard back yet.
jor

Quick Reply: Steering Column Lock Washer