2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

New to dodge// Trans problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 05:15 PM
mikesmith92
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to dodge// Trans problems

Okay I've tried searching around and have found nothing remote to what I'm having issues with..

I have a 94' 1500 v8 magnum (46RE trans I believe)

I bought the truck the other night.. well lets say "recieved" since it was pretty much free.

Drove it home trans was taking a little to shift into gear (around 4k rpms)
Figured low trans fluid and i was right. It wasn't empty but was low. Came to find it had a "homemade" trans pan gasket.. so I added some fluid today just to see and it now shifts fine into reverse and 1st...

when I try to shift into 2nd or Drive it sounds like its just free spinning.. and I hear almost like a bubbling sound from near my 4x4 shifter... I couldn't see the trans being blown since it drove decently fine home... any insight??

Maybe trans filter? but that wouldn't explain the free spinning sound...

any help will be greatly appriciated. Waited for sometime to get a dodge now I want this on the road!!!!

Old 12-09-2010, 05:22 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,388 Likes on 3,128 Posts

You have a 46RH trans. The RE started in 96.

Change the gasket, and filter, top off the fluid. (You MUST check fluid in neutral. will be inaccurate in park.) Adjust the bands while you are there..... (procedure for that is in the 01 service manual, which you can download from the FAQ section of the 2nd gen forums.)

Welcome to DF.

Old 12-09-2010, 05:24 PM
mikesmith92

Tyvm for the welcome and help....

This should adjust the freespin sound and allow it to shift to D and 2 correct?
Sorry for the questions I'm just not very familiar with dodge engines or transmissions..YET.

Old 12-09-2010, 05:28 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,388 Likes on 3,128 Posts

You are going to become INTIMATELY familiar with them.

As for if it will fix it.... Don't know. It might. It should..... If it were possible without disassembling the entire trans, I would suggest cleaning out the governor assembly as well.... but, not sure on that. Transmissions really aren't my strong point.

Old 12-09-2010, 05:30 PM
mikesmith92

Haha so I can see throughout my exploring on this site thus far, I will try what you said and hopefully it will fix it.. If not I shall be back haha

TYVM again.

Old 12-09-2010, 05:32 PM
Gerehead8
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So the trans works in manual low (1) and reverse but not in drive or 2? The trans is also making noise from inside when in drive and 2?

If so it sounds like your overrunning clutch is destroyed. It is a mechanical one way clutch at the back of the trans. The tranny requires a rebuild if this is bad. The core may not even be good depending on the damage done.

Start with checking TV cable and fluid level though.

You can't clean the governor without disassembling the trans. It is attached to the output shaft at the back of the OD unit.

Old 12-09-2010, 09:46 PM
Gerehead8
Record Breaker

It is also possible that the governor is damaged in some way or the tubes have come off. Could be a valve body issue too. Most likely though the tranny will have to come out to do any diagnosing or repairs.

Old 12-09-2010, 10:08 PM
mikesmith92

Originally Posted by Gerehead8
So the trans works in manual low (1) and reverse but not in drive or 2? The trans is also making noise from inside when in drive and 2?

If so it sounds like your overrunning clutch is destroyed. It is a mechanical one way clutch at the back of the trans. The tranny requires a rebuild if this is bad. The core may not even be good depending on the damage done.

Start with checking TV cable and fluid level though.

You can't clean the governor without disassembling the trans. It is attached to the output shaft at the back of the OD unit.

Yeah but I mean it moved fine just lastnight didn't have any loud bangs or anything... an when I added the fluid it started shifting to 1st and reverse as well as neutral and park.. the problem is only with 2 and drive.. also that's when the bubbling sound comes to play...

Old 12-09-2010, 10:18 PM
Gerehead8
Record Breaker

When in manual low (1) and reverse the low/reverse band holds the rear drum from turning. When in drive and 2 (both in breakaway low) the overrunning clutch holds the drum. If the overrunning clutch does not hold the truck does not move. Being a mechanical clutch, if there is a problem it can fall apart quickly. I would expect there to be sound as now all the little metal pieces are rattling around. Drop your pan and look for debris. The over running clutch has little springs and cylindrical rollers. It is located at the back of the front section of the trans.

Its not a for sure thing and I don't have my trans books with me, I am diagnosing from memory. I still think you have a major trans problem, especially if you have done the basics (fluid and tv cable adjustment).

Last edited by Gerehead8; 12-09-2010 at 10:21 PM.
Old 12-09-2010, 10:35 PM
mikesmith92

Originally Posted by Gerehead8
When in manual low (1) and reverse the low/reverse band holds the rear drum from turning. When in drive and 2 (both in breakaway low) the overrunning clutch holds the drum. If the overrunning clutch does not hold the truck does not move. Being a mechanical clutch, if there is a problem it can fall apart quickly. I would expect there to be sound as now all the little metal pieces are rattling around. Drop your pan and look for debris. The over running clutch has little springs and cylindrical rollers. It is located at the back of the front section of the trans.

Its not a for sure thing and I don't have my trans books with me, I am diagnosing from memory. I still think you have a major trans problem, especially if you have done the basics (fluid and tv cable adjustment).
Well I just poured in some trans fluid to see if shed move, what should I look for in the pan heavy amounts of metal shards? Also what is the tv cable and how do I adjust this?

Quick Reply: New to dodge// Trans problems