2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Please help! No heat

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 07:58 PM
dedios
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help! No heat

Today 07:44 PM
dedios

My Dodge 4x4 pick up 1500 01 will not produce heat, I have changed the thermostat, topped off the anti freeze and checked the heater core hoses they seem to both be somewhat hot. The temp. gage does barely moves indicating that the engine is cold, nomatter how long i ride it. If i ride a long time say an 35mts or so on the highway I may get some heat. I feel no circulation on the top side hose and it's not hot. The antifreeze fluid does not seem to be circulating and it does not get hot.

How do I tell if it,s the fan clucth or the pump if this should be the next step.
Please help as I need to fix in a hurry in-order to go to work which I don't get enough of these days.

thank you in advance

Old 12-14-2010, 08:00 PM
drewactual
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

get a new 'stat.. I'd guesstimate one in five are bad out of the box..

Old 12-14-2010, 08:02 PM
DukesOfHazzard
Record Breaker

heater core plugged

Old 12-14-2010, 08:50 PM
dodgeman52
Captain

i say make sure the t-stat isnt bad and flush the hell out of the heater core

Old 12-14-2010, 09:13 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

First things first: Burp the system. But an additional intermediate step is in order: Get the nose of the truck up high, and with the passenger side high enough above the rest that the bottom of the filler is higher than the top of the upper radiator hose.

If/when you get coolant flow (indicated by the surface of the coolant within the filler "bouncing") gently and carefully squeeze the upper hose at it's highest point and hold it until you see air bubbles rising from the coolant.

If that doesn't work, then it's time to think about replacing the thermostat, heater core, whatever.

Old 12-14-2010, 11:12 PM
nmanchester
Amateur

Originally Posted by UnregisteredUser
First things first: Burp the system. But an additional intermediate step is in order: Get the nose of the truck up high, and with the passenger side high enough above the rest that the bottom of the filler is higher than the top of the upper radiator hose.

If/when you get coolant flow (indicated by the surface of the coolant within the filler "bouncing") gently and carefully squeeze the upper hose at it's highest point and hold it until you see air bubbles rising from the coolant.

If that doesn't work, then it's time to think about replacing the thermostat, heater core, whatever.
+1 what he said

Old 12-15-2010, 04:27 AM
dedios

Thank you very much for your replies. I'm a newby to car forums and this is the one I chose (glad i did). I read most post that were put up concerning this problem. You guys are really good, I hope to learn much more as I can't afford to pay most shop fees.

I will do ALL of the above today and post the results no later than tomorrow.
Thanx again

Old 12-15-2010, 01:35 PM
dedios
Thumbs up found the problem...got the heater working

The culprit..a new faulty thermostat I had installed. When I purchased it I noticed that the part that sets in the middle of the housing was slightly crooked and an alarm went off in my head, but i did not take heed.
I installed it.

We went down the list checked everything and decided to remove the new stat anyway. upon removing it I was I saw that it was crooked and i was enlightened. We straightened it by pulling it back and releasing it. I tested it in a pot of boiling water as I've learned on here, and sure enough it worked properly. I know have heat enough to keep me warm and defrost the winshield. I think it could be hotter so I'm goint to try and flush the heater core when the outside temp. gives me a break.

Thanks guys
I'm a happy WARM camper

Quick Reply: Please help! No heat