2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

New to me Ram and I'm pretty happy

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2010 | 12:33 AM
lastrights
Grand Champion

cherry bomb extreme is a single chamber muffler i love it, my vids are in my sig, also highflow cat makes a diffrence dont matter what muffler you have on there

Old 12-20-2010 | 08:21 AM
olyelr
Record Breaker

I would recommend taking the exhaust completely out the back. The reason I say that is because with it exiting under the box the sound will basically be the same outside, but in the cab it is way louder.

I had duals going straight out the back of olyelr for YEARS, and finally the tips and hangers started rotting out and failing me. So I chopped them off just above the rear axle where it was still solid... instantly was loud as hell in the cab, but no change of sound outside. I then had new duals ran out each side on an angle and thought it looked WAY better. But, its all opinion.

Removing the cat will give it a much louder tone, but may also cause issues down the road with O2 sensors and such, and possibly make it run worse unless you get everthing squared away.

Personally, I like the sound/quality of Flowmaster mufflers, but I have been hearing allot of talk about the cherrybomb extreme as lastrights has mentioned. Never heard one though.

Last edited by olyelr; 12-20-2010 at 08:31 AM.
Old 12-20-2010 | 11:29 AM
lastrights
Grand Champion

also using the tips at an angle get them really dirty im always cleaning them because the rear tires spit on them real good

Old 12-20-2010 | 02:20 PM
Gerehead8
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by rwilhelms
Alright I will be sure to do that If I get any time and it gets above 0 degrees outside this week. Also does anybody have any suggestions on exhaust. It has a single looks like 3" pipe into a muffler (not sure what kind) dual 2.5" straight out the back. The truck isnt loud enough for my liking its only slightly louder than stock. Should I change mufflers or cut out a cat? Also instead of being like every other truck in town and have 3" tips out the back or at 45's Im thinking about turndowns after the rear axle any pros or cons of doing this? Any other suggestions?
Header will make a truck louder and sound better. I friend had an almost identical truck to mine with a similar exhaust and he took his new muffler out to make it louder and with headers and a flowmaster 40 mine sounded the same. I only have the cheap summit brand headers too.

Old 12-21-2010 | 10:18 AM
rwilhelms
|
Veteran

alright well thanks for the input guys. So I requested the build sheet for my truck and found a couple things im not sure on so any help explaining these will help to. What does the ADJ Heavy Duty Service Group mean that I have? Also im thinking that the truck has been in an accident and painted before because I got these on my build sheet.
APCA Center Band Two Tone Paint
PU3A Dark Chestnut Pearl Coat
QFAA Light Driftwood Satin Glow
KBTP STRIPE/BADGE/MOLDING/COLOR
K1XP STRIPE/BADGE/MOLDING/COLOR
K17P STRIPE/BADGE/MOLDING (not sure what these are exactly)
XCMS Vendor Painted Cargo Box (not sure what this is either)
IT also says that I have bright front and rear bumper Im guessing that means chrome right? Maybe this would explain why the airbag light is on also?

Last edited by rwilhelms; 12-21-2010 at 10:22 AM.
Old 12-21-2010 | 10:21 AM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher

Originally Posted by rwilhelms
alright well thanks for the input guys. So I requested the build sheet for my truck and found a couple things im not sure on so any help explaining these will help to. What does the ADJ Heavy Duty Service Group mean that I have? Also im thinking that the truck has been in an accident and painted before because I got these on my build sheet.
APCA Center Band Two Tone Paint
PU3A Dark Chestnut Pearl Coat
QFAA Light Driftwood Satin Glow
KBTP STRIPE/BADGE/MOLDING/COLOR
K1XP STRIPE/BADGE/MOLDING/COLOR
K17P STRIPE/BADGE/MOLDING (not sure what these are exactly)
XCMS Vendor Painted Cargo Box (not sure what this is either)
IT also says that I have bright front and rear bumper Im guessing that means chrome right?
Heavy duty service group has the following:
136 Amp alternator
750 amp battery
aux transmission cooler
t-case skid plate
heavy duty engine cooling

BTW, your truck was repainted at some point since your build sheet says one thing, and your picture says another...

Old 12-21-2010 | 11:41 AM
rwilhelms
|
Veteran

Thats what I was hopping not to hear cause normally new paint means hidding something I would think. The paint on it almost looks like a good spray bomb or just faded cause it doesnt look like theres much clear coat on it cause it doesnt shine like it should. I also dont think I've ever seen a dodge in the color that mine is it looks like a charcoal gray in the shade but when the suns directly on it, it kindah looks like a copper or goofy color brown. I got qouted $1200-$1500 for a paint job by a reputabile guy that does body work on the side not sure if this is around what an actual shop would cost. I think just a gloss black would look good with a little chrome accent.

Old 12-21-2010 | 01:06 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Is your truck the same color inside the door frames? What about under the interior door panels? Lift the carpet, and peak under there as well. if they are all pretty much the same color..... truck wasn't re-colored. Still, may have been repainted. Clear coat degradation after 13 years really shouldn't come as a surprise.

Do a search on the color. Find pics of other dodges of the same era with the same color. Looks pretty close to me...... I think.

Old 12-22-2010 | 02:50 AM
rwilhelms
|
Veteran

so I found a picture of what it should of looked like before it was painted. Maybe they just painted the silver to match the brown on the truck. not quite sure and I'll have to check the door jams and stuff next time im at my friends cause its parked there till spring seeing as how I can't afford to drive it to school 60 miles and back everyday.

Old 12-22-2010 | 06:36 AM
olyelr
Record Breaker

Sharp color scheme! Fairly unique... don't see too many like that.

Quick Reply: New to me Ram and I'm pretty happy