2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

46re troubles

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2010, 11:24 AM
newman1367
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 46re troubles

After finding this forum, I would like to thank the experts here. I started having trouble with my 46re trans, and even though I didn't find an exact match to my problem, I fixed it myself by getting the confidence to tear into it. The transmission shop said it needed rebuilt, so I figured I couldn't do any harm. $8 for a broken spring in the valve body, plus fluid and filter, and problem solved. You guys just saved me $$$, thanks!! Don't be afraid to dive into the unknown.

Old 12-19-2010, 12:15 PM
Sixtysixdeuce
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by newman1367
After finding this forum, I would like to thank the experts here. I started having trouble with my 46re trans, and even though I didn't find an exact match to my problem, I fixed it myself by getting the confidence to tear into it. The transmission shop said it needed rebuilt, so I figured I couldn't do any harm. $8 for a broken spring in the valve body, plus fluid and filter, and problem solved. You guys just saved me $$$, thanks!! Don't be afraid to dive into the unknown.
Glad you were able to sort out your issue. That said, I want to add to your comment:

Don't be afraid to dive into the unknown
.....but be prepared to pay a professional if you get in over your head.

I've made a fair amount of money correcting problems caused by over confident Do-it-yourselfers. Many times, repairing or replacing the components they damaged cost several times what the original repair would have been at the shop.

I encourage anyone to learn about their vehicle and not be intimidated by the unfamiliar. But that encouragement is followed by a strong recommendation that they carefully research what they're about to tackle before diving in.

Last edited by Sixtysixdeuce; 12-19-2010 at 12:19 PM.
Old 12-19-2010, 12:15 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,276 Likes on 3,023 Posts

Originally Posted by Sixtysixdeuce
Glad you were able to sort out your issue. That said, I want to add to your comment:

.....but be prepared to pay a professional if you get in over your head.

I've made a fair amount of money correcting problems caused by overconfident Do-it-yourselfers
I never really enjoyed getting cars/trucks towed into the shop in "Kit Form"..... I generally charged a couple extra hours of labor on those..... especially for the more interesting jobs, like, putting the motor back in.....

Quick Reply: 46re troubles