2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Power loss problem solved

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2010, 04:01 PM
Thejudge02
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power loss problem solved

I talked to a real mechanic and he said the CAT was plugged. So I beat the **** out of it with a hammer. And it shot out a chunk the size of a tennis ball. Now it runs like a champ!!

Name:  Picture003.jpg
Views: 2
Size:  16.3 KB

Old 12-25-2010, 01:17 AM
chastain90
Professional

i thought about removing my cat my friend said it will shoot a code because the sensors are unplugged and you can get it permanelty removed. do u know if thats right?

Old 12-25-2010, 09:45 AM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cats are required by law, therefore no exhaust shop will remove it and not put one back in.
Most inspection shops will also check to see if a cat is present on the truck.
So you're better off either punching it out or replacing it with a hi-flow unit from Magnaflow.

Old 12-25-2010, 11:31 AM
99dodge318
Record Breaker

what do you mean "So I beat the **** out of it with a hammer"?
i believe mines clogged but when i put my headers on i couldnt stick anything through the y-pipe to punch out the cat.
did you just beat on the outside of the cat?
did that piece travel through your exhaust pipe? im afraid a piece like that would get caught in my flomaster

Old 12-25-2010, 11:51 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Originally Posted by 99dodge318
i believe mines clogged but when i put my headers on i couldnt stick anything through the y-pipe to punch out the cat.
did that piece travel through your exhaust pipe? im afraid a piece like that would get caught in my flomaster

Drop/cut the exhaust right behind the cat. Take out the pre-cat O2 sensor. Use a sharp pointy stick, and a BFH to break up the substrate in the cat, clear out what you can, then, start the engine and rap on it a couple times to clear the rest. Reassemble the exhaust.

Old 12-25-2010, 01:32 PM
Thejudge02
Amateur

Originally Posted by 99dodge318

Yes I hit the outside of the convertor with a hammer a few times. And gave it a few high revs and it shot the chunk out like a 90 mile an hour fast ball. But in youre case youre right it might get stuck in youre flows. I dont have any mufflers so it was a straight shot. So youre best bet is to cut it open gut it and weld it back together.

Old 12-25-2010, 01:34 PM
Thejudge02
Amateur

Originally Posted by dodge dude94
Cats are required by law, therefore no exhaust shop will remove it and not put one back in.
Most inspection shops will also check to see if a cat is present on the truck.
So you're better off either punching it out or replacing it with a hi-flow unit from Magnaflow.
I am blessed to live in Kentucky and we dont have vehicle inspections here.

Old 12-25-2010, 03:20 PM
CPTAFW163
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chastain90
i thought about removing my cat my friend said it will shoot a code because the sensors are unplugged and you can get it permanelty removed. do u know if thats right?
the code doesn't do anything really. It basically tells you "Hey, your cat doesn't work right, get a new one."

Precat O2 sensor: Reads AF ratio and sends to PCM
Post Cat O2 Sensor: Checks to see if the vehicle is within emissions standards.

Old 12-25-2010, 04:52 PM
dodgeman52
Captain

i had a gutted and lost alot of low end torque but then i replaced it with a piece of pipe and it had alot more low end power and it alot louder

Old 12-25-2010, 07:07 PM
drewactual
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dodgeman52
i had a gutted and lost alot of low end torque but then i replaced it with a piece of pipe and it had alot more low end power and it alot louder
you created an area of high pressure that created a ton of back pressure.. back pressure= no good.. when the engine created enough pressure through the pipes to defeat the high pressure, you had decent flow..

the, uhem, correct way to fake a cat is to take it off and punch it out, and then shove a slightly smaller diameter pipe through it to give continuity of flow.. it basically makes the non-functioning converter body a huggy for your exhaust and functionless..

Quick Reply: Power loss problem solved