2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Is it that bad?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 09:01 AM
bardram
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is a pretty rediculous thread. You are in a Dodge Ram forum, in the technical section, where people are primarily post problems they are having with their truck and are looking for help, or to help out. Then you wonder why you see so many threads about problems with these trucks?

Old 12-30-2010, 09:42 AM
snowzach

Yah... One of my favorite sayings is that nearly every model of every vehicle ever made has a couple deficiencies. Something that will go wrong with nearly all of them. This one I think was the tranny and it sounds like the plenum. I just got mine back from the shop yesterday, the tranny finally died (snap ring broke) at 105k. I expect it will last another 100k. The worst thing you have to worry about is rust I think.. I Just open up the doors once a year and pump a little heavy gear lube in there, park it in the gravel and let it leak for a week and good for another year.

My worst problem is trying to keep the mice out of the HVAC system!!!

Old 12-30-2010, 02:34 PM
ontimeanthony
Rookie

This is a pretty rediculous thread. You are in a Dodge Ram forum, in the technical section, where people are primarily post problems they are having with their truck and are looking for help, or to help out. Then you wonder why you see so many threads about problems with these trucks?
Easy there bardram. It was only a question. I realize this is the technical section which is why I asked my question here. I wasn't wondering why there are so many threads about problems with these trucks and there were some very good points made by other posters. There is nothing wrong with hearing about the plus sides of the truck. I am here to learn but this isn't my first Rodeo.

Old 12-30-2010, 02:56 PM
djm3452004

Originally Posted by bardram

"I am questioning if I made the right decision purchasing the 2500, not from personal experience but from all of yours."

Doesn't sound too ridiculous to me. Most people make a significant investment in a vehicle not expecting it to be a piece of junk, and reading some of the horror stories on here could certainly make a person question their judgement about owning a '94 to '01 Ram. I think reassurance is more helpful than berating the guy for asking such a "ridiculous" question.

Like most vehicle owners, I did not do a lot of homework when buying my '01 1500. The truck has its quirks, and the thought of an imminent tranny rebuild was not a pleasant surprise, nor was the plenum pan replacement.

I would say that most newer cars/trucks should be robust enough from the factory that if you regularly perform the basic maintenance routine, you should have a relatively trouble-free ownership for 100K+ miles. The fact that these trucks have so many problems at low mileages should say something, especially when many problems do not originate by a lack of maintenance but by OEM design and build deficiencies.

I think a lot of what we're seeing is typical Big 3 rush-to-market design problems during the truck and SUV boom of the late '90s and early 2000's. It seems everyone was in such a hurry to cash-in that they forgot to take the time to make the vehicles right before releasing them. Ten years later, we're all like, "WTF?!" when an apparently lightly-used and low-mileage vehicle has so many problems. With today's increased awareness of the importance of long-term quality, I don't think some of these problems would be permitted by any auto maker that expects to stay solvent.

Old 12-30-2010, 03:43 PM
lane
Veteran

Your motor should out last the sphinx, the rest will probably need to be replaced with the tires . Really though IMO fords and Chev's have just as many problems. We lost the transmission in a 94 c1500 we had before 200k km's.

Old 12-30-2010, 03:59 PM
bardram
Veteran

Originally Posted by djm3452004
"I am questioning if I made the right decision purchasing the 2500, not from personal experience but from all of yours."

Doesn't sound too ridiculous to me. Most people make a significant investment in a vehicle not expecting it to be a piece of junk, and reading some of the horror stories on here could certainly make a person question their judgement about owning a '94 to '01 Ram. I think reassurance is more helpful than berating the guy for asking such a "ridiculous" question
Like most vehicle owners, I did not do a lot of homework when buying my '01 1500. The truck has its quirks, and the thought of an imminent tranny rebuild was not a pleasant surprise, nor by OEM design and build deficiencies.

to stay solvent.
I'm not looking to start trouble here, but on a purchase as big as a vehicle, I think most people do research before the purchase. If you don't, then the results are nobody's fault but your own. The op like yourself said they did no research before the purchase, then read a couple of threads on here and assumes dodge made 7 years worth of lemons?

Old 12-30-2010, 04:17 PM
bardram
Veteran

For instance, if you did research and found out that on rams, the transmissions typically have major problems between 100k-130k, and you went to look at one within that mileage,you would know that information. Then, you could either not buy that truck, or use that information to negotiate money off like I did. In your point of view, without doing research, you buy the truck, the tranny blows, and you blame the truck.
This forum is a wealth of knowledge, that can help you out before and after a purchase.

Old 12-30-2010, 04:21 PM
lblair04
Veteran

I agree that all manufacturers will have their problems. BUT...tranny, plenum, front end, fuel pump, brake lines, death flash, dash, heater core, heads, timing chain....**** man thats a lot of **** to go wrong! Not to mention paint that fades and clear coat peels away....

I dont regret getting rid of my money pit Dodge... I saw just today on the news that Chrysler just recalled 150,000 SUV's and trucks... I also worked with a guy that had a 2007 Dually with the cummins and he had major issues... I heard of Toyota Tundras with a recall but havent heard Ford or GM recalling too many trucks lately....

To the OP....good luck

Old 12-30-2010, 06:42 PM
lvolson
Rookie

I look at it like this... besides the known issues, it's a matter of care. When I sold my backhoe a few years ago, I challenged purchasers to find backhoes 10 years newer that were as tight as mine.
Specs being the same, I'd take a 15 year old vehicle that was well cared for over a 5 year old vehicle that was treated like it was disposable anyday. The problem is, finding the vehicles that were well cared for.

Old 12-30-2010, 07:00 PM
obiewan kanobe

another good tip...good for other vehicles. in cold weather or after the truck has not been driven for a week or so....
the transmission pumps do not all run in the park position. set brakes and let truck run a few minutes in neutral. then idle in reverse and forward position a couple minutes. this warms and circulates the fluid and reduces some start up wear. i did this on an old plymouth that sat for 20 years in a neighbors yard. it had to warm up for a while, but , later, it ran and shifted like new!