2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Is it that bad?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 08:41 PM
djm3452004
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bardram
I'm not looking to start trouble here, but on a purchase as big as a vehicle, I think most people do research before the purchase. If you don't, then the results are nobody's fault but your own. The op like yourself said they did no research before the purchase, then read a couple of threads on here and assumes dodge made 7 years worth of lemons?

I'd love to have a witty comeback, but I don't. No one likes being called an idiot, even in a polite reply. Suffice to say, I did what I believed to be enough research since two close friends own '94 and '00 Rams respectively. The biggest problem one friend had was a cracked head and blown head gasket at about 100K, and the other had a tranny rebuild at about 150K. Further, I didn't say I "did no research" at all, I said "I did not do a lot of homework".

Sure I didn't seek out a specific Dodge truck forum prior to my purchase, but with a little under 80K on my truck's odometer at the time of purchase, I didn't figure I had much to worry about in big-ticket items. In my view, any vehicle worth its salt should last at least 100K without major problems as long as proper maintenance is carried out. This brings me back to my original statement: "The fact that these trucks have so many problems at low mileages should say something, especially when many problems do not originate by a lack of maintenance but by OEM design and build deficiencies. "

"In your point of view, without doing research, you buy the truck, the tranny blows, and you blame the truck."
No, I blame the dealer I bought it from. If you unwittingly buy a crappy vehicle from a reputable OEM dealer under the premise that everything is a-ok, who do you hold accountable? If it's your buck on the line, you're going after the dealer for warranty, regardless of how much research you should or could have done beforehand. Used vehicles bought privately are another matter. Prior research would be a must, as you indicated.

"assum[ing] dodge made 7 years worth of lemons"
To have vehicle "start-up" issues in the first model year or two is unavoidable. To have the same issues universally on eight-years-worth of production vehicles without apparent resolution? Interesting, to say the least.

Old 12-30-2010, 10:57 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by djm3452004
No, I blame the dealer I bought it from. If you unwittingly buy a crappy vehicle from a reputable OEM dealer under the premise that everything is a-ok, who do you hold accountable?
If you don't buy the used vehicle warranty from the dealer, then you hold yourself accountable. Didn't your contract stipulate that the vehicle was sold to you as-is?

Old 12-30-2010, 11:45 PM
lvolson
Rookie

I disagree with buying used vehicles from dealers period unless you have the remainder of a factory warranty.

I know I have said it before but I have been burned by so many dealers and mechanics I don't trust any of them. Chances are they bought the vehicle at auction or got it in trade. They may have made it look pretty. For the most part, they turn around and sell it with all the same problems that made the original owner get rid of it.

In most cases I have seen, they even try to sell the vehicles KNOWING they would not pass a safety inspection (worn brakes/tires, etc) but they bank on you not knowing they are REQUIRED to make sure the vehicle is safe (in CT anyway).

Regardless, you win some and lose some (with vehicles, dealerships, mechanics, etc.). My 1997 Jeep Cherokee was listed as one of the WORST vehicles to buy used. Until a Ram 1500 rear-ended it at 50mph (even though I still drive it, it's "totalled"), I never had a problem with it. I dare say if I had sold it to someone who respected it as a high mileage older vehicle, they would have had good luck also.

Used = roll the dice.
New = much pricier and having to pay huge property tax bills on it.

Old 12-31-2010, 12:40 PM
lane
Veteran

Originally Posted by lblair04
I agree that all manufacturers will have their problems. BUT...tranny, plenum, front end, fuel pump, brake lines, death flash, dash, heater core, heads, timing chain....**** man thats a lot of **** to go wrong! Not to mention paint that fades and clear coat peels away....

I dont regret getting rid of my money pit Dodge... I saw just today on the news that Chrysler just recalled 150,000 SUV's and trucks... I also worked with a guy that had a 2007 Dually with the cummins and he had major issues... I heard of Toyota Tundras with a recall but havent heard Ford or GM recalling too many trucks lately....

To the OP....good luck
unfortunately trannys, front ends, fuel pumps, brake lines, heater cores, etc. all wear out on other brands too and i know you're going too come back and say more so on dodge but really besides the plenum and dash it's about the same. It's hard to find a good all around vehicle.