2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

I can get an extended warranty: Choice

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 11:56 PM
CPTAFW163
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I can get an extended warranty: Choice

Alright,

I still have the Dodge extended warranty on my 2001. it expires at 98K or March 16 2001. Since I have only 50K, I can get an extended warranty.

They want 2300 for a bumper to bumper 6 year. Engine, tranny, steering, computer, suspension, drivetrain (No dash or trim).

2300 can get me a new viper tranny if mine goes out (running really smooth right now). But, would it be worth the 2300 since other things like the steering box, ball joints, tie rod ends etc might go out?

However, They did ask me if there were any modifications to the truck. The only MOD I can think of is the MSD box. Because every truck has injectors, throttle bodies, exhaust manifolds and rocker arms. My MSD is on a quick connect and I can take it off in less than 5 minutes. It is mounted to the PDC cover with 3M tape.

Old 12-29-2010, 11:59 PM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i would if you plan on keeping her around will save you money in the longrun !

Old 12-30-2010, 12:07 AM
J415
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Would they treat it like a Cali truck? Because if so, that would sound like a good deal. When my Cat went out, it took me 2 months to find one. Then I had to pat right around $240 for it (magnaflow). Parts for Cali trucks (as you may already know) cost an arm and a leg since they're only making it for one state instead of 49 states.

Old 12-30-2010, 12:16 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,391 Likes on 3,131 Posts

Read the fine print. Anything that is NOT stock anymore will NOT be covered. Anything affected by the 'not stock' parts isn't covered either. I seriously doubt they will cover your viper transmission.... that is most certainly NOT stock. If it fails, if they did anything at all, they will not replace it with what you have in there now.... they would rebuild it back to stock specs.

I would have a long discussion with the service manager of your local dodge dealer, and ask specific questions, and make sure that his answers are backed up in writing before spending that kind of scratch. Some SMs are easier to get along with than others..... so, if you do not plan on staying in the area, chances are very good that what this guy says, will not necessarily apply to ANY other dodge dealer.

Old 12-30-2010, 12:21 AM
J415
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^ Great point!!!

Old 12-30-2010, 12:26 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

I used to BE the guy on the other side of the counter. I have seen this before. (GM dealership though.....) I don't wanna see you spend 2K+ for something that won't do you any good.

Old 12-30-2010, 05:40 PM
CPTAFW163
Champion

I know they would not cover a viper tranny, but the only reason I mentioned it was because I am mainly worried about my STOCK tranny going out. Since the tranny and coverage cost about the same it is more of a "either or." However I would just wait until the stock tranny goes (Which could be a long time).

Basically the poll is:
A: Keep the 2300 for the aftermarket tranny if/when the tranny goes.
B: Pay the 2300 and be covered on EVERYTHING. Only drawback is that they will not replace a broken tranny with a viper tranny. Just a factory rebuild.

I am thinking B. They even said i can do a payment plan in 4 installments after 50% down. Something like that.

Old 12-30-2010, 05:42 PM
CPTAFW163
Champion

Hey You,

This is through my Credit Union where I financed my vehicle. This is not location specific. Pentagon Federal Credit union is nowhere in Arkansas (where I live right now). This is not through Dodge or a specific dealership. I know how those warranties work. Basically i just need to get the work done at any reputable mechanic.

Old 12-30-2010, 06:15 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

I am real leary of aftermarket warranty companies.... I had more trouble with them trying to find reasons NOT to pay a claim, when I knew it should be covered. Other problems I ran into were..... warranty companies wanting to install 'used' parts, in cases like engines, and transmissions.... for whatever reason.

To date, I haven't met an aftermarket warranty company that I liked. The Dodge/GM/Ford extended warranties were better..... sometimes by quite a bit.

Of course, I have also see some of the same companies approve repairs, without batting an eye at cost/source of parts..... While its true that they will only rebuild back to stock specs.... and you can use just about any service center you care to, still taking it to the dealer on someone elses dime makes sure you get consistent quality parts. If you do elect to pick up the warranty, I would still take it to the dealer for work, if it was at all possible.

Old 12-31-2010, 02:25 AM
dodgeram07
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how many miles you drive a year?.... just to get a idea

Quick Reply: I can get an extended warranty: Choice