2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

what does engine ping actually sound like?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2010, 11:26 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,276 Likes on 3,023 Posts

Originally Posted by John D in CT
Just to keep things from getting confusing, it's my understanding that pinging can occur without the type of "pre-ignition" you're referring to, where typically a red-hot chunk of carbon build-up ignites the air-fuel mixture before the spark plug has a chance to. I think it can also occur when the plug ignites the mixture a little too soon. As always, please correct me if I'm wrong.
That IS ping, or pre-ignition, or, whathaveyou. The important part is, the cylinder fires BEFORE it really should. Why doesn't really matter, be it due to carbon buildup in the cylinder, or overly advanced timing... need to find out WHY it is doing it, and then fix it.

Old 12-31-2010, 12:23 PM
John D in CT
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Ping is also known as "Pre-Ignition". Your cylinders firing BEFORE the plug actually fires it.
I would have appreciated it if you could have simply acknowledged that the clear implication of your post was that carbon build-up is the sole cause of pinging. I stand by my decision to make a clarification.

Yes, I realize thast you have more posts than I do, and I am grateful for your help in the past.

Old 12-31-2010, 01:10 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,276 Likes on 3,023 Posts

Originally Posted by John D in CT
I would have appreciated it if you could have simply acknowledged that the clear implication of your post was that carbon build-up is the sole cause of pinging. I stand by my decision to make a clarification.

Yes, I realize thast you have more posts than I do, and I am grateful for your help in the past.
No intent to ruffle any feathers. Just want to make sure the point gets across. I probably should have been a bit more clear in my original post.

If you took my post as condescending, or, insulting in any fashion, please believe that was NOT my intent, and you have my apologies.

(and just as an aside...... that should be "isn't the sole cause......")

I am here to learn, just as much as anyone else. In fact, I HAVE learned a LOT about our trucks from hanging out here. I do not base credibility/knowledge/whether or not I take advice/whathaveyou on someones post count. All that implies is, I have a LOT more time on my hands than others. (or, I talk to much..... something......)

Old 12-31-2010, 01:45 PM
John D in CT
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice reply and Happy New Year!

Quick Reply: what does engine ping actually sound like?