2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

what does engine ping actually sound like?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 09:50 PM
NTD69
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what does engine ping actually sound like?

I have a marble in a can sound when I'm going real light on the throttle and the engine is under load like when going up a hill or something is this Ping? And if it is ping how do I stop it?

Thanks'

Old 12-29-2010, 09:56 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,391 Likes on 3,131 Posts

Yep. that's exactly what it sounds like. You need to check your plenum, and see if the gasket it blown. (sure sounds like it.)

Old 12-29-2010, 09:59 PM
CSXfan
All Star

This is not my video, but the pinging starts at 3:47

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuY3CICc70Q

Old 12-29-2010, 11:22 PM
xxxcowxboyxxx
All Star

use a higher octane fuel and it will go away, but your plenum gasket is prob shot

Last edited by xxxcowxboyxxx; 12-29-2010 at 11:25 PM.
Old 12-29-2010, 11:25 PM
CPTAFW163
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought a header leak was pinging. I should have known because the sound was uniform. Pinging is very erratic. Almost like random rattling.

Old 12-31-2010, 10:11 AM
VEETEN
Captain
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Yep. that's exactly what it sounds like. You need to check your plenum, and see if the gasket it blown. (sure sounds like it.)
And if you have a CAT on your truck, it's probably plugged as well.

Old 12-31-2010, 10:19 AM
BigRedRam95
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How hard on a motor is it to let it ping? Mine does just what the O.P truck is doing. Will it mess up my motor if I let it ping till spring when I can change the plenum gasket? I have it all and just need to finish cutting the intake.

Old 12-31-2010, 10:32 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,391 Likes on 3,131 Posts

Ping is also known as "Pre-Ignition". Your cylinders firing BEFORE the plug actually fires it. Possible consequences include, but, are not limited to: Broken pistons. Melted pistons. Bent Rods. Etc. All VERY expensive repairs. You might be able to slide by using a higher octane fuel, but, fixing the root cause of the problem is your best bet.

Old 12-31-2010, 10:49 AM
John D in CT
Veteran

I've never actually heard of an engine being ruined by pinging, but it can't be happy about it. After all, the pinging is caused by the flame front hitting the pistons while they're still on the way up. It's my understanding that the sound is caused by the rattling of the piston/wrist pin connection. You might want to run premium gas until you can eliminate the cause of the pinging, and/or try to retard the timing a little by moving the crankshaft position sensor a little. I've read a few threads on here about slotting the CKPS bracket so you can move it a couple of degrees.

Question: You mention that you have a 25% underdrive pulley. I associate those with superchargers. You got a blower on that thing? If not, what's the purpose of an underdrive pulley? My best guess would be to reduce the amount of power used by the fan.

Old 12-31-2010, 10:58 AM
John D in CT
Veteran

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Ping is also known as "Pre-Ignition". Your cylinders firing BEFORE the plug actually fires it. Possible consequences include, but, are not limited to: Broken pistons. Melted pistons. Bent Rods. Etc. All VERY expensive repairs. You might be able to slide by using a higher octane fuel, but, fixing the root cause of the problem is your best bet.
Just to keep things from getting confusing, it's my understanding that pinging can occur without the type of "pre-ignition" you're referring to, where typically a red-hot chunk of carbon build-up ignites the air-fuel mixture before the spark plug has a chance to. I think it can also occur when the plug ignites the mixture a little too soon. As always, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Quick Reply: what does engine ping actually sound like?