2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Headers

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2011, 11:15 PM
dodgeramit_10
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got the ebay headers. I wish I would have went with everybody when they told me not to buy them. You get what you paid for I think I've got a crack on each one. But sound wise very nice and MPG I gained 1.5 but I did a front to back system.

Old 01-01-2011, 11:16 PM
matty675
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

broken link...

Old 01-02-2011, 12:10 AM
CPTAFW163
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got JBA headers. However, the gaskets they came with were not very good. I bought the 1/8 inch edelbrock gaskets. they woke up my other mods. but alone, they don't do much (Had dedlbrocks in my 1996 5.2 with a mopar PCM, Fastman TB, and open element filter, and they did practically nothing)

Old 01-02-2011, 10:04 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think I did jinx myself saying that they were doing fine after 4+ years (maybe 5, I can't remember when I got them).
The bolts that came with them were low grade and the wrong size.
The gaskets that came with them seem good. I re-used the gasket when I took the cracked one off the other day and it ain't leaking.

And as far as the crack goes, it was nothing the Lincoln couldn't handle. That header ain't cracked any more.

I believe the reason for the crack is that they were under a good bit of tension ever since I put them on. I had to squeeze and pry on the y-pipe to get it onto the headers all the way when I installed them so it was putting stress on the little bitty weld that cracked.

Old 01-02-2011, 12:10 PM
99dodge318
Record Breaker

i have pacesetter shorties with flat black header paint and nickel plated stage 8 locking header bolts, they really made my engine compartment look nice. i only spent $170 for the headers, bolts, and gaskets.(headers were used but in perfect condition.)

Old 01-02-2011, 12:14 PM
99dodge318
Record Breaker

oh and if you use header paint, wipe down the pipes before you start the truck, my finger prints burned into the side of the pipes.

you wont be able to tell soon cause im gonna get some DEI header wrap to match my spark plug boot protectors. <--- also a good purchase if you get shorties

Old 01-02-2011, 12:41 PM
redheadhunter21
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would not put header wrap on all it is going to do is help attract and hold more moisture and allow the headers to rust out way quicker than without it.....not a good idea IMO

Old 01-02-2011, 12:56 PM
Pacmanloads
Captain

I have Pacesetter longtubes and I really like them . I didn't notice a fuel mileage change but I pay no attention to that anyway . I didn't buy an old truck for fuel economy . The truck no longer feels like it's fighting to get the exhaust out as it did before with the stock setup , all though most would say the longtubes are too much for a 5.2 .

Old 01-02-2011, 01:55 PM
drewactual
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've went on and on about this ad nasium, but the factory Y is the problem imHo.. that junction is choke central.. I really wish I would have taken a moment to snap a pic of it when I cut it open..

Now this is just me, so take it fwiw- but I did shorties first.. then later went back and made true duals.. I noticed a difference in tone with the headers is about all.. I notice a pretty substantial gain when I dumped the Y and went to a magnaflow true x muffler..

I'm thinkin- and again this is just my opinion.. that instead of doing shorties- get the Y replaced with a better rig and you will notice at least as much gain by itself as shorties net you.. You can always go back later and do the shorties.. that factory Y is a joke.

Old 01-02-2011, 03:42 PM
Thejudge02
Amateur

Originally Posted by Sheriff420
I think I did jinx myself saying that they were doing fine after 4+ years (maybe 5, I can't remember when I got them).
The bolts that came with them were low grade and the wrong size.
The gaskets that came with them seem good. I re-used the gasket when I took the cracked one off the other day and it ain't leaking.

And as far as the crack goes, it was nothing the Lincoln couldn't handle. That header ain't cracked any more.

I believe the reason for the crack is that they were under a good bit of tension ever since I put them on. I had to squeeze and pry on the y-pipe to get it onto the headers all the way when I installed them so it was putting stress on the little bitty weld that cracked.
Why did you have to do so much to the Y pipe?

Quick Reply: Headers