2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1999 Dodge Ram V10 Oil pressure issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 05:05 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

I think your best bet is going to be.... Open it up and look. Drop the pan first, see if the pickup IS full of crap, if it is, that just might be the end of it. (depending of course, on just WHAT the crap is.......) If the pickup looks ok, then, digging out the oil pump is the next step.

It is possible that the bolts have worked their way loose, but, the plate was still sorta 'stuck in place', when it finally popped loose, your oil pressure went away. If you have a warm place to work, the tools, and the time, save the money, and your engine...... and have at it.

Let us know what ya find.

Old 01-05-2011, 06:09 PM
2000blkdgdram
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Pressure

I do not have the V10, however, I just fixed the same issue on mine. After lots of reading on these forums I concluded it to be a handful of things.

1. Bad Oil, time for an oil change.
2. Low Oil and coming to a stop swishes the oil forward and you lose pressure on stop (unlikely)
3. Oil Pressure Sending Unit (this is what I replaced and it fixed my problem)
4. Sludge in your oil stopping up the recieving screen
5. Oil Pump Going Out

Hook up a mechanical gauge and ensure your pressure is right, if so its most likely the Oil Pressure Sending Unit.

Oil change, Oil PRessure Sending Unit, and labor came out to 180 dollars.

Old 01-06-2011, 05:32 PM
general0ne

Originally Posted by HeyYou
I think your best bet is going to be.... Open it up and look. Drop the pan first, see if the pickup IS full of crap, if it is, that just might be the end of it. (depending of course, on just WHAT the crap is.......) If the pickup looks ok, then, digging out the oil pump is the next step.

It is possible that the bolts have worked their way loose, but, the plate was still sorta 'stuck in place', when it finally popped loose, your oil pressure went away. If you have a warm place to work, the tools, and the time, save the money, and your engine...... and have at it.

Let us know what ya find.
Yeah. I'm still doubting the pump but who knows till I can "dig in" lol. I do have a place to work, but it's just "occupied" by the Rampage at the moment so I have to get that out before I can get the Ram in.

Old 01-06-2011, 05:36 PM
general0ne

Originally Posted by 2000blkdgdram
I do not have the V10, however, I just fixed the same issue on mine. After lots of reading on these forums I concluded it to be a handful of things.

1. Bad Oil, time for an oil change.
2. Low Oil and coming to a stop swishes the oil forward and you lose pressure on stop (unlikely)
3. Oil Pressure Sending Unit (this is what I replaced and it fixed my problem)
4. Sludge in your oil stopping up the recieving screen
5. Oil Pump Going Out

Hook up a mechanical gauge and ensure your pressure is right, if so its most likely the Oil Pressure Sending Unit.

Oil change, Oil PRessure Sending Unit, and labor came out to 180 dollars.
Well, I know it's not #1 or #2, as I just changed the oil and filter. The oil wasn't low before I changed it either. #3 is definitely out too, since I can tell by the sound that there's no pressure. Wish it was that easy of a fix though! It has to be either #4 or #5. I'm leaning towards #4, just because of the intermittent pressure issues, but #5 is definitely a possibility as well simply due to the amount of miles on the engine.

Old 01-06-2011, 05:45 PM
general0ne

Alrighty, well thanks for the insight so far, but it'll probably be a week or so before I can actually get dirty and start working on the truck (don't worry - I'm not driving it!) due to the weather and my work schedule. My main issue though, is that I don't have a service manual (or Haynes, or Chiltons) for this truck (yet). Are there any online resources for dropping the pan and pulling the timing cover? If not, I'm not too concerned as I've done more complicated things without a manual, but I like to have an idea of what I'm getting into before I start

I've tried searching Google but haven't found much. The best I have so far is what my mechanic told me about having to loosen the mounts and raise the engine before dropping the pan.

Old 01-06-2011, 05:46 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Look in the FAQ section here. There is an 01 manual in there. It should be close enough for your needs in this particular case.

Old 01-06-2011, 06:28 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Just for ***** and giggles, replace your PCV valve. If it is plugged or the line is plugged engine blow by can generate a pressure and create cavitation of the pump resulting in loss of oil pressure especially at idle after coming off the throttle.

Most likely, it is a pick up screen issue or pump.

Old 02-11-2011, 01:21 PM
D.L.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1999 Dodge Ram V10 Oil pressure issues

Jason

Before you spend a lot of money, drop the oil pan down. You may not get it out from under the truck but that is OK. Next remove the oil pickup tube and check the screen.

I had the same issue and I found what appeared to be bit's of carbin that broke free and made it's way to the oil pan.

D. L.

The following users liked this post:
the-tinman (07-06-2021)
Old 10-18-2012, 04:27 PM
chrisskyp
Default found it

having the same problem with a customers 98 v10 magnum 2500 2wd dropper the pan pick up tube was clean other than some shavings checked the oil pressure relief valve checked the oil pressure with a mechanical gauge just to rule out the sending unit. at the end of the day dropped the oil pan and saw that there was half of a camshaft bearing laying in the bottom witch all makes sense since the oil pressure held in high rpms and that is near the end of the lubrication system.

thats what i found good luck to you guys

Old 11-06-2019, 09:21 PM
Frank Froggatt
Default Bingo

Originally Posted by hydrashocker
Just for ***** and giggles, replace your PCV valve. If it is plugged or the line is plugged engine blow by can generate a pressure and create cavitation of the pump resulting in loss of oil pressure especially at idle after coming off the throttle.

Most likely, it is a pick up screen issue or pump.
Went through the oil pump gears change, and all the other recommendations, and the pcv valve was the final solution. Do yourself a favor and check this first.

Quick Reply: 1999 Dodge Ram V10 Oil pressure issues