2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1999 Dodge Ram V10 Oil pressure issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 11:23 AM
general0ne
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 1999 Dodge Ram V10 Oil pressure issues

Hi everyone. New member here...

Anyway, I've recently been having some issues with my '99 Ram V10. Up until yesterday I've had no problems with oil pressure, other than on cold mornings it takes a while for the pressure to come up on first starting (maybe 20 seconds or so when it's below freezing). Otherwise, pressure is pretty steady around 40 PSI at idle when warm.

Yesterday morning on my way to work, driving about 45 MPH, the oil pressure dropped to zero. Then came back up to 40. Then dropped to zero again. It continued doing this the whole way to work (about a 4 mile drive) and on the way home. Temp was around the 40s in the morning, and 50's in the afternoon.

I've read some of the other topics on oil pressure on the v10s, but the loosening of the rear pump cover doesn't seem to be my problem - I'm not getting low pressure, I'm getting intermittant NO pressure. I first thought it may have been electrical, but when the pressure drops off, I can hear the valves begin to rattle a bit. Last oil change was a couple months ago. When I checked the oil, it was a *bit* low, but nowhere near the point it should be sucking air into the pickup tube.

Any ideas on what might be causing this? Possibly a clogged or bad filter? I will be changing the oil this afternoon to see if that helps any, but thought I'd see if I can get any opinions anyway.

-Jason

Old 01-04-2011, 09:33 AM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Welcome to Dodge Forum.

I will move this to the 2nd generation ram section (1994-2001 Dodge Rams) to get you some answers.

Always nice to have another Jason on the forum.

Old 01-04-2011, 09:37 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,174 Likes on 2,927 Posts

Might be crap in the pickup tube, might be a failing oil pump. Not real familiar with the 10's...... If you are hearing evidence of zero oil pressure, time to stop driving it until you can solve the problem, else, it might just solve itself. (and require a new motor....)

Old 01-04-2011, 10:57 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

The oil pump is built into the timing cover, and is rebuildable.

Old 01-05-2011, 12:48 PM
general0ne

Originally Posted by jasonw
Welcome to Dodge Forum.

I will move this to the 2nd generation ram section (1994-2001 Dodge Rams) to get you some answers.

Thanks!

Old 01-05-2011, 12:51 PM
general0ne

Originally Posted by jasonw
Welcome to Dodge Forum.

Yeah. I've stopped driving it till I can work on it. I had it at my mechanic, and he quoted me possible $700 just in labor (!) just to find out what's wrong. Soo... I've parked it for now until either the weather warms up, or I can get my Rampage out of the garage to take a look at it myself.

Old 01-05-2011, 12:52 PM
general0ne

Originally Posted by zman17
The oil pump is built into the timing cover, and is rebuildable.
Yeah. I read that on one or more other threads. I also saw about the issue with the rear cover of the pump coming loose.

Old 01-05-2011, 01:05 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,174 Likes on 2,927 Posts

Well, on doing a bit of research..... Looks like the oil pump is in the timing cover.... also, it seems that some of the bolts on the rear plate for the pump like to back out, here is a thread right here on DF with a pretty picture.

Old 01-05-2011, 01:09 PM
general0ne

Alrighty... Well, a bit of an update. I changed the oil in the truck - new Puralator filter, fresh oil, and... nothing. I had it to my mechanic (who doesn't do internal engine work anymore), and he said I'm probably looking at around $700 just in labor to find out what the problem could be (he referred me to a guy he knows).

Now, one thing that I noticed - If I make a HARD left, oil pressure will return for a few seconds. I'm thinking maybe crud built up that is blocking the pickup? I mean, it does have near 260K miles on it... Another thing I was wondering - I recently got a new job (about three months ago) that is about three miles from my house. The engine is just warming up about when I get to work. Is there a possibility that this could have accelerated the buildup of sludge in the engine? I did notice when I changed the oil that there was some "gook" inside the oil cap that reminded me of the headgasket failures on the 2.2s. I'm not sure if this was there during previous oil changes or not. The oil that I drained out was clean though - black, but no gook or crud in it.

What is involved with dropping the oil pan on the V10? My mechanic told me that the engine needs to be lifted (due to clearances, I'm assuming). I have a cherry picker and have swapped engines before so that's not really a big deal.

I'm almost leaning towards a blocked pickup rather than a failed pump, since with a failing pump I'd expect a gradual decrease in pressure over time instead of a sudden no pressure situation, especially since when the pressure returns, it is in the normal range. Plus I think dropping the pan would be a bit easier than pulling the timing cover. I'd rather try the easier route first, then end up pulling the cover to find that the pump is fine. At least even if the pump has failed it wouldn't hurt to drop and clean out the pan after 260K miles...

Old 01-05-2011, 01:14 PM
general0ne

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Well, on doing a bit of research..... Looks like the oil pump is in the timing cover.... also, it seems that some of the bolts on the rear plate for the pump like to back out, here is a thread right here on DF with a pretty picture.
Yep. That is the thread that I had read (though I don't remember the picture showing up). I'm still wanting to say that's not my problem though, since my oil pressure was fine until it dropped to zero. And when it comes back, it's fine :/ It would have been nice if the guy that said he had no oil pressure in his '95 would've followed up if he ended up finding the problem.

Quick Reply: 1999 Dodge Ram V10 Oil pressure issues